Finally Summer has arrived and what better way to welcome its arrival than with a fancy ice-cream and wafers! This ice cream sandwich recipe is definitely a walk down memory lane but with a grown up feel. It is the perfect summery treat.
– 130g plain flour
– 50g cornflour
– 130g unsalted butter
– 60g caster sugar
– 1 tsp vanilla essence
White chocolate cardamom ice-cream
– 300ml milk
– 1 vanilla pod
– 4 crushed cardamom pods
– 5 medium egg yolks
– 70g caster sugar
– 200g white chocolate
– 200ml double cream
For the shortbread
1. Preheat oven to 160ºC.
2. Very simply, beat the butter, vanila and sugar together until smooth.
3. Add the flour and cornflour and mix to from a dough.
4. Wrap and chill for one hour.
5. When chilled, roll on a floured surface and cut the dough into 16 rectangle cookies and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Remove and allow to cool.
For the ice-cream
1. In a pot, gently heat the milk, vanilla and cardamom and allow to infuse for 20 minutes.
2. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until pale in colour.
3. Add the milk and mix well.
4. Strain into a clean pot and over a low heat, stir continousily until it begins to thicken.
5. Once the mix coats the back of a wooden spoon, add the chopped white chocolate.
6. Remove and allow to cool in the fridge.
7. Once cold, add the double cream and place in your ice-cream machine and follow manufactures instructions.
8. Once churned place in a rectangular container so its easier to cut and place in the freezer.
Shane Smith hails from Co Cavan and has been cooking his way around Ireland and further afield for the past 16 years, starting his training in Co. Donegal in Tourism College Killybegs and then extending his studies to Galway Mayo Institute of Technology graduating with a degree in Culinary Arts, specialising in Pastry.
Shane has been very fortunate to have worked in and ran the pastry sections in some of Ireland’s leading 5* hotels and restaurants. Shane can be spotted all over the country carrying out his fun, interactive demonstrations with some of Ireland’s leading chefs. In September 2015, Shane was honoured to be awarded the title of “Best Bakery Manager in Ireland” in conjunction with Shelflife magazine and most recently has landed a cookery slot on Sunday AM where he can been seen regularly bringing his natural flare and love for all things sweet from the TV3 studios into the nation’s homes.