Nothing like a seasonable recipe, “Wild Mushroom Barley Risotto” this recipe by the talented Monika Coghlan, it is one of those perfect dishes to keep you warm on a cold day. With all the right notes on flavour, with a creamy texture and also so versatile, perfect for lunch or dinner. A wonderful recipe to make your own.
– 20g mixed wild mushrooms, chopped
– 300g barley
– 1 l vegetable stock, heated
– 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
– 2 shallots, peeled and finely diced
– 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
– 1 tbsp butter
– 75g parmesan cheese, grated
– A handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped
– Juice of 1/2 lemon
– A small glass of dry white wine
– Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. In a large pot, saute the shallots, garlic and mushrooms with some olive oil for 5 minutes until golden.
2. Stir in the barley. Add a glass of white wine and stir again.
3. Keep adding ladlefuls of the hot stock and stirring continuously for 15 minutes.
4. Stir through butter, and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes until the stock is absorbed and the barley is soft.
5. Add the chopped parsley leaves, grated parmesan cheese and lemon juice, and mix until well combined.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Garnish with some grated parmesan and parsley leaves, and serve.
‘People eat with their eyes ﬁrst’ says Monika Coghlan- a Recipe Developer, Food Stylist & Photographer based in Cork. ‘Whether it’s consciously or subconsciously, we use all our senses to make a food selection, with sight being the most signiﬁcant. The more visually appealing a dish is, the more appetising it gets. That’s why food presentation is so important’ says Monika. Monika loves experimenting with food and discovering new ﬂavours. Her recipes are simple and based on fresh accessible ingredients and seasonal produce. She’s convinced cooking from scratch doesn’t have to be complicated or time consuming. Monika strongly supports local Irish food businesses and has established relationships with many of them. Through her images, Monika combines her love for food with her passion for photography. Her photos are authentic and show food’s natural beauty.
For more info, updates on the upcoming events, seasonal recipes and mouthwatering pictures of food.