This sweet and sour tasteful Ukrainian dish is one of my favourites over the winter season. Made throughout Eastern and Central Europe with many variations, today I am making my own gluten free and low FODMAP adaptation suited for those who have sensitive guts.
This dish can taste equally good served hot or cold. As a starter to the Christmas mains or else served up as the main. If you can, source some vegan plant based sour cream and give it an ol’ dollop when serving. As well as tasting beautiful it also looks beautiful when plated up.
The nutritional benefits of beetroot include lowering blood pressure, boosting your stamina, it can also help fight inflammation. It is rich in valuable nutrients and fiber and acts as a great detoxification support for your liver, which, lets face it, a few of us will all need over the festive period.
So all in all this is a great dish to enjoy over the holidays, especially handy when indulging on the hot ports and whiskeys!
– 4 small organic beetroots, diced
– 1 tablespoon of oil
– 2 scallions, chopped
– 2 large carrots, diced
– 300g of white button mushrooms, sliced
– 1 tbsp coconut sugar
– 1 tsp Himalayan salt
– Sprinkle pepper
– 2 tbsp tomato purée
– 2 litres mushroom stock, or vegetable stock
– 1 large bunch organic kale, chopped
– 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice, or apple cider vinegar
– 4 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 200c
2. Chop and oven roast the beetroot for about 30 mins. Once this is done and the beetroot is cooked:
3. Heat oil in a deep saucepan, add in the scallions, carrots, celery, button mushrooms, sugar and salt.
4. Cook, stirring regularly, for about 10-15 mins until the veg begin to colour.
5. Stir in the black pepper and tomato purée. Add the stock and pre-cooked oven roasted beetroot. Increase the heat and bring to boil and then add the kale. Reduce the heat to low and cook while stirring occasionally for about 30 minutes.
6. Remove from the heat, stir in the lemon juice and fresh dill and serve.
7. Enjoy the fabulous dish!
I’m an entertainment publicist, illustrator and writer. Besides the obvious love for music, art and words; I hold great passion for film, psychology, theatre, travel, health & fitness. I also have a diploma in nutrition and I am a vegan and coeliac. Web: Www.goodseedpr.com