Dublin bartender Pat Thomas from Zozimus Bar will represent Ireland at the prestigious Diplomático Rum World Tournament in Venezuela in 2017. The national competition was held last night in The Sidecar Bar in Dublin’s luxury hotel, The Westbury.
Bartenders from eleven leading Irish bars created their own bespoke cocktails to impress the judges. The panel of four included Rafael Agapito (Alan Clancy Group), Patricia Murphy (Independent.ie), Gillian Boyle (Hang Dai Restaurant and Music Bar) and Declan Byrne (Bartending Association of Ireland).
A group of six finalists was chosen after the first round. In the end it was Pat’s Duke Mantuano cocktail that won the judges’ favour. The recipe combined Diplomático Mantuano Rum with Amontillado Sherry, Fossinola syrup and lime juice. Thejudges were impressed not just by Pat’s creativity and technical expertise behind the bar, but also his charisma and passion.
Patrick Rabion, Diplomático’s Export Director explains: “We are looking for the best bartender in the world, one who, in addition to his or her technical skills, embodies Diplomático’s values. Diplomático Rum strongly believes that the best bartender in the world is one who combines all these elements.”
Now Pat will compete against the world’s top mixologists from 40 different countries at the Diplomático Rum World Tournament semi-finals, and in he wins, he’ll participate in the global finals in London in June 2017.
The other Irish national finalists were:
– Fabio Ciccarelli , The Horse Shoe Bar at The Shelbourne Dublin
– Edvinas Rudzinskas, The Westenra Arms Hotel Monaghan
– Michal Lis, The Sidecar at The Westbury, Dublin
– Ryan Sheridan, Billy Byrnes Kilkenny
– Chris Simon, JT Pim’s Dublin
– Matthew Cahill, McCambridges of Galway
– Phoebe Fairbairn, Wigwam Dublin
– Michael Gadzala, Cliff House Hotel Ardmore, Galway
– Richard Delahoyde, VCC, Dublin
– Chris Crowley, Sophie’s at The Dean Hotel
The winner of the Diplomático World Tournament will be awarded the prestigious title of “Diplomático’s World Best Bartender”, and will receive $10,000 USD in prize money. The second place will receive $5,000 USD and the third one $2,500 USD.