Today, 1st of September, we celebrate one of the world’s most important varietals: Cabernet Sauvignon. A rich, tan-tastic grape that knows how to cause a long lasting impression. If you are one of the many lovers Cab Sauv has around the world, you will relate to the following…
1. When someone says they love wine but only drink white and rosé…
2. When a friend tries a sip from your glass and his expression is an acknowledgement of his weakness.
3. You know that Cab Sauv has a reputation for being harsh and rough, but you also know that the finer examples are sophisticated, complex and just beautiful.
4. When it comes to Bordeaux, you know the Left Bank is where they keep the good stuff.
5. And Right Bankers are simply missing out.
6. You understand that a perfectly cooked premium steak shouldn’t be brought down by a weakling wine.
7. But also, a good Cabernet Sauvignon doesn’t need food, and you appreciate the pleasure of sipping a glass slowly, letting it reveal all its blackcurrant, spice, leather and toasted glory.
8. Sometimes you feel like you have to tone down your wine choices so the person sharing a bottle with you can enjoy it too.
9. But when you’re with another Cab Sauv lover, you indulge in a seriously cab-ulous bottle and a passionate debate about Australia, France or California being your favourite terroir.
10. You know that wine is not supposed to taste like Kool-Aid and that a well made Cabernet Sauvignon will have a balanced strength in which acidity, alcohol and tannins will harmonise on your palate.
We love you Cab Sauv! Happy Cabernet Sauvignon Day everyone!
Gabriela’s passion for writing is only matched by her love for food and wine. Journalist, confectioner and sommelier, she fell in love with Ireland years ago and moved from Venezuela to Dublin in 2014.
Since then, she has written about and worked in the local food scene, and she’s determined to discover and share the different traditions, flavours and places that have led Irish food and drink to fascinate her.