Almond Milk Porridge Recipe with Poached Pear, Blackberry Compote & Almond by Keith Doyle from Fuel Café
A delicious dairy free Autumn porridge using seasonal blackberries & pears. A perfect warming bowl for the cold mornings creeping in. This recipe was created by Keith Doyle of Fuel Café Clontarf and serves two people.
For the porridge
– 50g porridge oats
– 500ml almond milk
– 200ml water
– Pinch of salt
For the pears
– 2 pears, peeled and cut into quarters
– 1/2 cup water
– 1/2 cup apple juice
– 1 stick cinnamon
– 1 star anise
– 1 vanilla pod
For the compote
– 1 cup of blackberries
– 1 vanilla pod
– 2 tbsp honey
– 100 ml Pear liqueur
For the topping
– Crushed almonds
To make the porridge
1. Add all the ingredients to a saucepan over a high heat and bring to the boil, then
reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the oats are cooked and hold a creamy texture.
To poach the pears
1. Add the water and spices to a medium pot and bring to the boil. Add the pears, then reduce to a simmer and poach until tender – approximately 10 minutes.
2. Remove the cinnamon stick and star anais using a sieve and retain the poaching liquor to add to the compote.
To make the compote
1. Add the berries, vanilla and water to a small saucepan. Cook for 10 minutes until the berries soften but still keep their shape.
2. Then stir in the honey, remove from the heat and allow to cool.
1. Pour the porridge into your bowl. Top with the poached pears & compote Finish with crushed almonds.
Keith is a passionate cook who loves creating healthy dishes that are full of flavour. Keith is the manager of Fuel Café in Clontarf, specialising in cooking nutritious dishes and freshly brewed coffee.
When not cooking up a storm in the kitchen Keith loves dining out and finding new restaurants on the Irish dining scene, he is also an avid traveller and enjoys exploring new cultures and cuisines and is always looking for a new and exciting place to visit.