As well as being tasty this baked beans, sausage and eggs recipe is also a very economical dish.
– 4 large eggs
– 8 pork sausages
– 1 tbps. rapeseed oil
– 1 large onion, finely chopped
– 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
– 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
– 1 tsp. of smoked paprika
– 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
– 1 tsp tomato purée
– A pinch of sugar
– 1 x 400g tin of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
– 100 ml water
– A good handful of basil leaves, chopped
– Salt and freshly ground black pepper
– Baked potatoes
Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4, 180°C (350°F).
1. Heat the grill and cook the sausages under a medium heat for about 15 minutes until cooked.
2. While the sausages are cooking heat a little oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat.
3. Add the onion and fry for 2-3 minutes. Then stir in the garlic, chilli and smoked paprika and cook for another 2 minutes.
4. Add in the tin of tomatoes, the tomato purée and a pinch of sugar. Stir and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Add the beans and stir them through the mixture.
6. Taste and season with a little salt and black pepper, and basil leaves (reserving some for the garnish).
7. Cut each sausage in four and add to the pan.
8. Grease either 4 individual or one large ovenproof dish.
9. Pour in the bean and sausage mixture, making four little wells for the eggs.
10. Break the eggs into the wells.
11. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 10-12 minutes until the eggs are set.
When cooked remove from the oven, sprinkle over the reserved basil and a little black pepper and serve with baked potatoes.Bord Bia’s Eggs: Fuel for a Busy Life campaign will take place from October 24th – November 6th 2016.
As part of this ‘Eggcellent’ campaign, Bord Bia have produced a suite of new recipes that are really versatile, simple and packed with protein – perfect for your standard cook or fitness fanatic who needs protein rich food, and fast!
In order to ‘Get yourself a 6-pack’ with Bord Bia Quality Assured eggs check out some of the new egg recipes for inspiration on www.bordbia.ie/eggs.