Black Pudding on Toast Recipe by The Hairy Bikers
Black pudding, morcilla or boudin noir – we love it all. This black pudding on toast recipe is great part of a tapas feast or it makes a great starter or tasty brunch. Spanish black pudding is called morcilla but it’s fine to use regular British black pudding and we find that it’s easier to slice than morcilla. We’ve included some of the spices you get in morcilla in this recipe to give that real Moorish flavour.
– 2 tbsp olive oil
– 1 large onion, sliced into crescents
– 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
– 1 tsp dried oregano
– 1 tsp sweet paprika
– ½ tsp hot paprika
– ½ tsp ground allspice
– ½ tsp cumin
– pinch of cloves
– pinch of cinnamon
– 250g black pudding, peeled and diced
– 2 tomatoes, deseeded and diced
– salt and black pepper
– thin slices of baguette
– 2 tbsp finely chopped flat leaf parsley
1. Heat half the olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion and fry it gently for about 10 minutes until soft and translucent.
2. Add the garlic, oregano and all the spices and cook for a couple more minutes, then season with salt and pepper.
3. Add 100ml of water and leave everything to simmer for a couple of minutes.
4. In a separate frying pan, heat the remaining olive oil. Add the black pudding and fry it briskly on all sides until crisp. Then gently toss the black pudding with the onion mixture and the tomatoes.
5. Toast the bread, pile the black pudding mixture on top and serve garnished with chopped parsley.
The Hairy Bikers are on their bikes again, searching out the very best recipes from around the world. This time, they’re discovering the most delicious food from our favourite Mediterranean countries.
Including recipes from their upcoming prime time BBC Two cookery show, Mediterranean Adventure celebrates the culinary delights of France, Spain and Italy. With more of us understanding the health benefits of a Med diet, these hearty and healthy dishes are a taste of the very best holiday memories.
Fresh, classic, easy and seasonal, enjoy their favourite Med recipes with the nation’s favourite cooking duo!
The Hairy Bikers’ Mediterranean Adventure is published by Orion Books.