Blood Orange Buttermilk Loaf Recipe by Chef Shane Smith
This butter loaf recipe is a hot favourite of mine at the moment. It showcases how beautiful blood oranges look and taste. I’ve knocked this up numerous times as It’s quite a simple recipe and will definitely impress.
– 2 blood oranges
– 50g caster sugar
– 2 tbsp water
– 110g unsalted butter
– 200g caster sugar
– Zest of 2 blood oranges
– 3 medium eggs
– 170g self raising flour
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 120ml buttermilk
– Chopped pistachios
1. Preheat your oven to 160°C.
2. Carefully slice the 2 blood oranges as thin as possible.
3. Lightly grease the sides of the 2lb loaf tin with butter and dust with flour. Tap out the excess flour and remove any from the base of the tin, you do not need to grease the base.
4. Heat the water and sugar and pour this syrup into the base of the tin and arrange the blood orange slices on top, overlapping them to cover the entire base.
5. In a mixing bowl, cream the butter, sugar and blood orange zest until light and creamy.
6. Gradually add the eggs, one at a time until incorporated and smooth. Sieve the flour and baking powder into this mix and combine.
7. Finally add the buttermilk and stir until combined.
8. Pour this batter into the prepared tin and place in the center of your oven for 1 hour. The loaf should be golden brown on top and if you insert a knife, it should come out clean.
9. Once baked, carefully run a small knife around the edge of the tin to free up any area that may
have stuck to the tin.
10. Leave to rest in the tin for 5 minutes and carefully turn the loaf out onto your serving dish. Garnish with chopped pistachio's and serve with a side of unsweetened cream!
Shane Smith hails from Co Cavan and has been cooking his way around Ireland and further afield for the past 16 years, starting his training in Co. Donegal in Tourism College Killybegs and then extending his studies to Galway Mayo Institute of Technology graduating with a degree in Culinary Arts, specialising in Pastry.
Shane has been very fortunate to have worked in and ran the pastry sections in some of Ireland’s leading 5* hotels and restaurants. Shane can be spotted all over the country carrying out his fun, interactive demonstrations with some of Ireland’s leading chefs. In September 2015, Shane was honoured to be awarded the title of “Best Bakery Manager in Ireland” in conjunction with Shelflife magazine and most recently has landed a cookery slot on Sunday AM where he can been seen regularly bringing his natural flare and love for all things sweet from the TV3 studios into the nation’s homes. chefshanesmith.ie