Bord Bia has launched its 10th annual Bloom event and according to the organisers, this year’s show will have something for all ages and interests. Irish food and drink will once again take centre-stage alongside the stunning showgardens and floral marquees.
The Bord Bia festival will run for five days over the June bank holiday weekend in the Phoenix Park, Dublin from Thursday, 2nd to Monday 6th. Bloom continues to grow each year and is now widely regarded as Ireland’s largest garden, food and family festival, attracting over 100,000 visitors last year.
The revamped Food Village at Bloom will host over 100 Irish food and drink producers, making this year’s food area the biggest to date. In addition to a number of food stalls and ever popular Chef’s Quality Kitchen stage, visitors will have the opportunity to enjoy a craft beer or and Irish spirit at the Bloom Inn, dine indoors at Bistro Bloom or the Country Crest Restaurant and sample the best of the Love Irish Food tent. This year, new features include a large BBQ area, sponsored by Dawn Meats, an interactive Origin Green feature and a bigger and better GIY Zone including a new Food Matters Stage.
Food & Drink Highlights at Bloom 2016
– Home to over 100 food stalls, gastronomic delights and real palette pleasers, the Food Village at Bloom will offer a wide range of produce on sale and onsite dining options.
– A new addition to Bloom on its tenth anniversary is the BBQ BLISS area, a mouthwatering celebration of the summer barbecue season. Sponsored by Dawn Meats, visitors can be assured they will be treated to the best of Irish quality assured produce, married with a wide range of BBQ offerings, cuisine styles and tastes. Enjoy traditionally matured Irish steaks and burgers prepared by The Premium Butcher, or try the Indian barbecue delicacies from the award-winning Kinara restaurant. For seafood lovers, Doran’s Fishmongers will offer a range of delicious barbecued fish and paella dishes. If summer sunshine makes you think of charcoal and grills, don’t miss this new Bloom feature!
– Meanwhile if you’re thirsty, the Bloom Inn will feature a wide range of Irish craft beers and spirits. Cheese and beer is a great combination and as such the Bloom Inn will also include a selection of gourmet farmhouse cheeses, supplied by the Association of Irish Farmhouse Cheesemakers.
– For those of you looking for a special treat, Neven Maguire has teamed up with With Taste to host a celebratory evening event at Bloom. Neven will prepare a 5 course menu for guests who will have the opportunity to meet the chef himself, while also enjoying the Bloom showgardens at night. The event will take place on Saturday, June 4th and tickets are €100. To book contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 01 2602632 – spaces are limited
– This year’s GIY Zone will the biggest to date and includes a new Food Matters stage. Home to daily workshops, discussion and debate, the new hub will bring together Ireland’s leading food writers, chefs, nutritionists, healthcare experts and journalists. Topics will include how to make your workplace healthier and happier, the future of organic farming, school dinners and the real costs of cheap food to mention but a few.
– Bord Bia’s Origin Green feature, located within the Food Village, is a must-do at Bloom 2016. By 2050, the global population will have risen by 2.5 billion, presenting a huge challenge for food production. Bord Bia is inviting visitors to learn more about the Irish food and drink industry and how they are fast becoming world leaders in sustainable food production.
– In terms of dining options, visitors will be spoiled for choice with a wide selection of indoor and outdoor options. The Country Crest restaurant will provide beautifully prepared Irish food in a relaxed and informal atmosphere, while Bistro Bloom offers three distinct catering choices including a sit-down table service restaurant, a seafood bar and an informal café. If you wish to pre-book lunch at Bistro Bloom, you can contact With Taste now on 01 2602632. In addition to the restaurant, the Country Crest Farm Shop returns to Bloom 2016. Visitors are welcome to sample local artisan foods, select from a range of quality meats, or take home some of the freshly cooked ready meals.
– Also based in the Food Village, this year the Banter at Bloom marquee will host six talks daily. Chaired by Jim Carroll, the Banter marquee will host a series of discussions, talks, and conversations on topical issues around food, sustainability, agriculture, and everything in between.
– Love Irish Food returns to Bloom for the seventh year with fifteen of Ireland’s most important brands. Learn about how you can make a difference in supporting Irish jobs and helping this vital part of the Irish economy, while engaging some of the best-known names in Irish food and drink.
– A series of interactive and educational displays will focus on Bord Bia’s promotions for fresh produce including the schools healthy eating programme Incredible Edibles, National Strawberry Week (June), summer salads and herbs in season. There will be a particular emphasis on the recently launched EU and Potato Industry funded campaign “Potatoes – More Than a Bit on the Side” where visitors will be informed about the Irish Potato Industry and how potatoes are a versatile, convenient and healthy part of the daily diet.
– The Chefs’Quality Kitchen is a major attraction within the Food Village. There will be a number of cookery demonstrations each day by a host of well-known chefs, including Mark Moriarty, Oliver Dunne, The Happy Pear, Paul Flynn, Roz Purcell, Neven Maguire, Edward Hayden, Rory O’Connell and more. The chefs will demonstrate a range of new recipes made from Bord Bia Quality Assured products and the best of local ingredients. All the recipes will be included in the Chefs’ Quality Kitchen 2016 Cookbook, which will be available on site free of charge. Ear to the Ground presenter Helen Carroll will also be on hand each day to interview the chefs and a number of Irish producers.
Tickets are on sale now and visitors are encouraged to book early for discounted rates by visiting www.bloominthepark.com.