Chickpea Burgers Recipe from The Cultured Club Cookbook
Use whatever bread you like to serve with this chickpea burgers recipe, even grilled Portobello mushroom ‘buns’ or chargrilled aubergine slices – however you roll!
Makes 2 burgers
– 100g cooked or tinned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
– 100g sautéed veggies (any veggies will do – see the note on page 238)
– 1 egg, lightly beaten, or 1 tbsp milled chia seeds soaked in 3 tbsp filtered water
– 2 tbsp chickpea flour
– 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
– 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
– 1/4 tsp ground cumin
– 1/4 tsp curry powder
– pinch of chilli flakes
– sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
– coconut oil, for frying
– bread or burger buns
– lacto-fermented mayonnaise
– baby salad leaves
1. Combine all the ingredients except the coconut oil in a food processor and pulse until blended but not completely puréed – you still want the burgers to have some texture.
2. Melt a little coconut oil in a pan set over a medium-high heat. Split the chickpea mixture in half and form into two round burgers. Cook for three to five minutes, until golden, then carefully turn over and cook on the other
side for a few more minutes, until golden.
3. Toast your bread and spread with lashings of mayonnaise. Pile on somesalad leaves and top with a chickpea burger.
In The Cultured Club, Dearbhla will teach you the history and art of fermentation and how to turn simple ingredients into superfoods. Learn about gut health and basic fermentation techniques, and experience the vibrant flavours of foods and drinks such as kimchi, sauerkraut, fermented salsa, kombucha and kefir.
Get your copy of The Cultured Club, published by Gill Books, here.