Classic Sponge Cake Recipe by Ultan Cooke
Now that we’re officially in spring, it’s a wonderful time of the year to gather friends and family together for long afternoons filled with tea and cake. This classic sponge cake is the perfect tea time treat for when you have guests over and the smell of it baking in the oven is simply irresistible!
– 300g Butter
– 4 Eggs
– 125g Flour
– 125g Caster Sugar
– 500g Fruit
– Icing Sugar
– 300ml Whipped Cream
1. Heat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Grease two sponge tins.
3. Beat eggs and sugar over boiling water for about 10 minutes until thick.
4. Fold in sifted flour and salt, rub in butter.
5. Divide into 2 tins and bake for 18 – 22 mins.
6. Cool on a wire rack.
7. Whip cream to stiff peaks.
8. With a palate knife layer each with cream and fruit and “plaster” the outside.
9. Dust with icing sugar and add more fruit for decoration.
RECIPE BY ULTAN COOKE
Ultan Cooke is the head chef at Ballynahinch Castle Hotel. Prior to his current position, he was chef at Aniar in Galway during the time it retained its Michelin Star. Ultan took over as head chef at Ballynahinch Castle Hotel in 2015 and has been exploring new and innovative methods in the kitchen ever since. Familiar with the Connemara landscape, Ultan focuses on using the most authentic ingredients that the area provides and enjoys expressing all that is good about the larder of Connemara.
To book your table call 095 31006 or visit www.ballynahinch-castle.com
[su_button url=”https://www.facebook.com/BallynahinchCastleHotel/” style=”flat” background=”#3f52a4″ radius=”0″ icon=”icon: facebook-square”]Ballynahinch Castle[/su_button] [su_button url=”https://twitter.com/ballynahinchcas” style=”flat” background=”#52a7ec” radius=”0″ icon=”icon: twitter-square”]Ballynahinch Castle[/su_button]