Coconut Carrot Slices Recipe by Neven Maguire
If you’re looking for a treat for afternoon tea, look no further than these crunchy topped Coconut Carrot Slices that uses honey instead of sugar with excellent results. This will keep for up to three days if stored in an airtight container, so it’s a good option for lunchboxes, particularly as it has no nuts in it.
Makes about 15 Squares
– 250g (9oz) butter
– 150g (5oz) honey
– 3 large eggs
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 200g (7oz) self-raising flour, sieved
– 50g (2oz) desiccated coconut
– good pinch of sea salt
– 225g (8oz) carrots, grated
– 2 tsp mixed spice
– 75g (3oz) desiccated coconut
– 3 tbsp honey
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/gas mark 4). Line a 20cm x 30cm (8in x 12in) baking tin with parchment paper.
2. Gently melt the butter in a large pan and then leave to cool for 5 minutes. Add the honey, eggs and vanilla extract, then beat until smooth with a wooden spoon.
3. Stir in the flour, coconut and salt. Finally, fold in the carrots and mixed spice. Transfer to the lined tin and bake for 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, to make the topping, mix the coconut with the honey and smooth this over the cake.
5. Return to the oven for another 10–12 minutes, until golden. It should have slightly shrunk away from the sides of the tin and be springy to the touch.
6. Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely, then cut into squares and use as required.
‘The Nations Favourite Healthy Food’ is the latest book by chef Neven Maguire. Since Neven took over the family business in 2001, MacNean House & Restaurant has been consistently winning awards for its food, service, wine offer and overall dining experience. In addition to his Neven Maguire Cookery School, where Neven presents a range of exciting cookery classes for all skill levels, he has also launched his exclusive ‘The Chef’s Table’ dining experience. Hosted in the beautiful and private surrounds of his cookery school, Neven and his team cook in front of diners and present the restaurant’s acclaimed Tasting Menu. Accompanying wines are presented and served by the restaurant’s sommelier.
‘The Nation’s Favourite Healthy Food’ is available in stores nationwide and online at nevenmaguire.com.