Corleggy Cheese Wins Super Gold at World Cheese Awards 2016
Corleggy Cheese was recognised with one of the most important awards an artisan food product can receive. This week saw the congregation of cheese experts from every corner of the world in San Sebastian for the annual Guild of Fine Food World Cheese Awards. While Norway’s Kraftkar blue cheese was chosen as the best cheese in the world by a panel of esteemed judges, Irish producers performed extremely well, with 19 awards announced today.
Over 3,000 varieties of cheese were put to the test, with only the finest being awarded an award of Super Gold, Gold, Silver or Bronze. Super Gold, the highest honour, was awarded to Corleggy Hard Raw Goats Milk Cheese, which is produced in Cavan. Typically described as mild with a subtle nuttiness, the rich Irish pastures make for a sweeter milk which translates to a uniquely delicious final product.
Numerous producers from across the country were awarded honours in the Gold, Silver and Bronze categories.
– Macroom Buffalo Mozzarella
– SuperValu Signature Tastes Gubeen
– Cashel Blue – Cashel Farmhouse Cheesemakers
– SuperValu Comte
– St Tola Ash Log – Inagh Farmhouse Cheese Ltd
– Glenstal Foods Irish Vintage White Cheddar
– Simply Better Taleggio – Traditional Cheese Co.
– Cashel Blue Organic – Cashel Farmhouse Cheesemakers
– Coolattin Cheddar
– Simply Better Cashel Blue – Traditional Cheese Co.
– Simply Better Comte – Traditional Cheese Co.
– Smooth White Irish Cheddar with Chilli Flakes
– Yeats Country Spreadable Goats Cheese – Green Pastures Donegal
– Milleens Dote
For the full list of World Cheese Award Winners 2016 click here.