Creamy Mushroom and Quinoa Stroganoff Recipe by Rosanna Davison
This is one of my favourite hearty and healthy comfort food meals, perfect for those that crave a ‘meatier’ texture. Made with chunky mushrooms and a smooth and creamy herbed sauce, it’s rich in flavour and super satisfying served with quinoa.
– 2 tbsp low-sodium tamari or water
– 1 red onion, finely chopped
– 2 garlic cloves, minced
– 500g sliced Portobello or white mushrooms, chopped
– 125ml low-sodium vegetable stock
– 2tbsp low-fat coconut milk
– 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
– 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
– 1½ tsp smoked paprika
– 1 tsp Dijon mustard
– pinch of cayenne pepper
– sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
– 1 handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped, plus extra to garnish
– 90g quinoa
1. Heat the tamari or water in a large saucepan and add the onion and garlic. Cook for 4–5 minutes, until the onion softens.
2. Add the mushrooms and cook for another 8–10 minutes, until lightly browned. Add the vegetable stock, coconut milk and lemon juice, then stir in the nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, mustard, cayenne pepper and seasoning.
3. Partly cover the saucepan and simmer for 5–6 minutes. Lower the heat, remove the lid and stir the mixture, allowing any excess liquid to evaporate. Add the parsley, stir well and adjust the seasoning as needed. Remove from the heat and set aside.
4. To cook the quinoa, first rinse it well under cold running water. Place the quinoa into a medium-sized saucepan and cover with double its volume of water. Cover the saucepan partly with the lid and bring it to the boil for 2–3 minutes, then lower the heat and allow it to simmer for 10–12 minutes, until most of the water has evaporated and the quinoa seeds have opened out.
5. Remove from the heat and set it aside to absorb the remaining water. Season with a pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
6. To serve, use a fork to fluff up the quinoa. Divide it between two bowls or plates and serve the mushroom stroganoff on top, garnished with fresh parsley.
Any leftovers can be stored in a covered container in the fridge for two or three days.Rosanna Davison is a model and nutritional therapist. She leapt to international prominence at the age of 19 when she was crowned Miss World 2003. In the years since earning that accolade, she has established herself as one of Ireland’s most recognisable media personalities. Her website, RosannaDavisonNutrition.com, has grown rapidly since its launch in March last year. Rosanna’s debut release, Eat Yourself Beautiful, was a No. 1 bestseller.
Following on from the success of Eat Yourself Beautiful, Rosanna Dis back to help you get fighting fit, fast! With over 100 powerful recipes that complement and enhance your fitness routine, a sample diet, exercise plans and tricks to keep you motivated, Eat Yourself Fit has everything you need to look and feel your very best.