Crispy Fried Spiced Cauliflower Recipe by Chef Chad Byrne at The Brehon
This crispy fried spiced cauliflower with almond and cauliflower heart purée is the perfect dish for the vegan/vegetarian in your life.
Created by Chef Chad Byrne at The Brehon Hotel in Killarney, this dish is perfect for lunch or dinner at any stage during the week.
– 1 head of cauliflower
– Bunch of spinach, washed and dried
– 2 spoons of smoked almonds, broken up (can be bashed with the back of a knife or rolling pin)
– Ras el honet spice blend from ethinc shop (For a homemade version, heat up a spoon of cumin, coriander, fennel, caraway and a 1/2 spoon of cinnamon and sumac. Then add to a spice grinder or pestle and mortar and blitz it up)
– 50ml almond milk
– 80g rapseed oil
– Chapatti bread or another crisp bread to serve
1. Take all the florets from the cauliflower and cut into bite-sized chunks.
2. Keep the the heart for the purée, wrapping them in foil and roast for 30 minutes.
3. When cooked, add to a blender with almond milk, blitz up and slowly pour rapeseed oil in until cauliflower becomes silky. Add salt to taste.
4. In a hot pan, fry your cauliflower with some oil for 2 minutes and then add 1/2tsp of ras el honet.
5. Toss in spinach and crush smoked almond. Season to taste and finish with the zest of one lemon for a nice zing. (Tip: Don’t add the juice as you will discolour the dish).
6. Add a little chopped coriander and serve up.
7. Spoon purée in the centre of the bowl and fill with crispy fried cauliflower. Serve with some bread and lunch is done.
Currently the Executive Head Chef at Danú Restaurant in The Brehon, Killarney, Chef Chad Byrne has extensive experience working in renowned establishments such as the Michelin Star restaurant Ristorante Semplice in London, the five star Heritage Golf & Spa Resort in Killenard, The Killarney Park Hotel and The Clarence and Merrion Hotel in Dublin.
Chad was awarded Irish Gastro Chef of the Year in 2012 along with a Gold Medal from Chef Ireland 2012 and has also represented Ireland in the culinary Olympics in Errfurt Germany. Danú Restaurant holds 2 AA Rosettes and Chad runs the kitchen with the ethos of food, focus and fun.