Eggcado with Avocado Recipe by Oliver McCabe
This eggcado with avocado recipe is derived from a recipe my mum made us on Sunday mornings. It’s our customers’ favourite breakfast at Select Stores, especially Mary Kingston, who gave it the name Eggcado. It’s tasty, filling and light. High in protein, dietary fibre and essential fats and it’s low GL.
– 2 eggs
– 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
– Himalayan fine rock salt and pepper
– 1 medium, ripe avocado, peeled and stoned
– 1 slice of spelt bread
– Pinch of minced fresh chives
1. Bring plenty of water to boil in a medium saucepan. Put the eggs into the hot water, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 8 minutes, until they are hard-boiled.
2. Place the boiled eggs in a sieve and rinse under cold running water, then peel the eggs quickly.
3. Mash the peeled, boiled egg with the olive oil and some salt and pepper in a small bowl. Add the avocado and mash until it’s quite smooth but still has a slightly chunky texture.
4. Toast the spelt bread and slice into soldiers. Serve the mashed egg in a small cup and sprinkle the chopped chives on top. Set the cup on a plate and serve the toast soldiers alongside.
The ‘Fuel Food Cookbook’ is more than just a collection of recipes. Author, nutritionist and chef Oliver McCabe sets out the cornerstones of nutrition and provides over 100 recipes for healthy food that doesn’t cost the earth – food that won’t have you stressing out over complex recipes and ingredients. This book brings healthy wholefoods back to basics and is packed with simple, flavoursome recipes for all kinds of meals and snacks, from juices and smoothies to substantial breakfast and brunch dishes, soups, salads, breads, burgers, casseroles and all kinds of snacks and sweet treats that you can actually feel virtuous about enjoying! Having worked in wholefood and vegetarian cafés worldwide,Oliver returned home in 2001 to help run the family business, Select Stores Dalkey. he has transformed it into a dynamic health-food store, which now includes Fuel Food, a fresh wholefood kitchen and deli and the food he produces there is the inspiration for this book.
To purchase your copy of ‘Fuel Food Cookbook by Oliver McCabe visit www.mercierpress.ie.