Fried Frivole with Toasted Almonds Recipe by Chef Chad Byrne at The Brehon
This Fried Frivole (mini cabbage) recipe from Chef Chad Byrne at The Brehon is made using toasted almonds, chick peas, chorizo and sour cream or some cordal goat’s cheese.
This is the simplest and tastiest side of veggies, especially with Frivole in peak season banging in flavour and goodness. The dish takes minutes and is the perfect side of veg for Christmas.
– 300g Frivole or kale if using kale blanch for in boiling water first for 1min
– Tin of chick peas, drained
– 50g chorizo, diced
– 50g toasted almond
– Juice of 1/2 a lemon
– Glug of oil (Any bar extra virgin)
1. Trim the ends of the Frivole.
2. Put teaspoon of oil in a pan. Add the chorizo and heat slowly on a low heat for a few minutes to extract all that oil form the chorizo.
3. Bang the heat up and put the fans on and add the raw frivole. Sauté for two minutes in the pan.
4. Add chickpeas and smoked almonds and mix through until hot. Season with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon to add sharpness.
5. Pour straight into a serving bowl and spoon over cheese or sour cream.
Currently the Executive Head Chef at Danú Restaurant in The Brehon, Killarney, Chef Chad Byrne has extensive experience working in renowned establishments such as the Michelin Star restaurant Ristorante Semplice in London, the five star Heritage Golf & Spa Resort in Killenard, The Killarney Park Hotel and The Clarence and Merrion Hotel in Dublin.
Chad was awarded Irish Gastro Chef of the Year in 2012 along with a Gold Medal from Chef Ireland 2012 and has also represented Ireland in the culinary Olympics in Errfurt Germany. Danú Restaurant holds 2AA Rosettes and Chad runs the kitchen with the ethos of food, focus and fun.