Gingerbread Cake with Raspberries by Rachel Allen
Based on a classic Victoria sponge, this beautiful gingerbread cake recipe has the added twist of warm spices. It makes a great layered cake for an occasion, piled high with sweet summer raspberries.
– 175g (6oz) butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
– 175g (6oz) plain flour, plus extra for dusting
– 175g (6oz) soft light brown sugar
– 3 eggs, lightly beaten
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 1 tsp ground cinnamon
– 1 tsp ground ginger
– a pinch of ground cloves
– ¼ tsp ground cardamom
– 1 tbsp milk
– 125g (4½oz) raspberries
For the icing
– 125g (4½oz) butter, softened
– 125g (4½oz) cream cheese
– 275g (10oz) icing sugar
– 125g (4½oz) raspberries
two 18cm (7in) sandwich tins
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) Gas mark 4. Grease the sides of the tins, and dust lightly with flour, then line the bases with baking parchment. Put the butter in a large bowl and cream it with a wooden spoon until soft, or use an electric beater on slow or a food processor. Add the sugar and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
2. Gradually add the eggs to the butter mixture, beating constantly. Sift in the flour with the baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and cardamom. Add the milk and fold in gently to mix.
3. Divide the mixture between the prepared tins and bake for 18–25 minutes, until golden on top and springy to the touch. Leave to cool in the tins on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then loosen around the edge of each cake using a small, sharp knife and carefully remove them from the tins. Leave the cakes on a wire rack to cool completely.
4. To make the icing, put the butter in a bowl or a food processor and add the cream cheese and icing sugar. Cream, or beat, until well combined and soft. Add the raspberries and gently mix together until incorporated.
5. Spread half the icing over the top of one cake and put the other cake on top. Spread the remaining icing on top of the cake. Decorate the iced cake with the raspberries, then serve.
Bestselling author and TV chef Rachel Allen presents the definitive baking guide.
Rachel’s recipes always work. Her legions of fans know that they are in safe hands with her. And nowhere is it more important than with baking. Here, in this gorgeous new book, she combines simple yet brilliant techniques with delicious flavours.
Home Baking’s chapters range from Biscuits, Cakes and Sweet Bites to Savoury Bakes, Breads and Desserts. Every recipe includes Rachel’s friendly and expert tuition, with clear instructions to ensure that you achieve the perfect bake; however comfortable you are in the kitchen.
Home Baking by Rachel Allen is published by Harper Collins Publishers and available to buy here.