This Gnocchi and Tomato Bake recipe is one of my guilty pleasures and makes for a great meal on a workout day. It’s a tasty dish with a range of different textures and flavours to enjoy, from the crunchy cheese on top to the al dente gnocchi and its delicious tomato sauce.
– 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
– 1 onion, finely chopped
– 1 red pepper, finely chopped
– 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
– 400g can chopped tomatoes
– 500g gnocchi
– handful of basil, roughly chopped
– 125g mozzarella ball, drained and torn into chunks
1. Preheat the grill to high.
2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, then soften the onion and red pepper for 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and fry for 1 minute, then tip in the tomatoes and gnocchi and bring to a simmer. Bubble for 10–15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the gnocchi are soft and the sauce has thickened. Season, stir through the basil, then transfer to a large ovenproof dish.
3. Scatter with the mozzarella, then grill for 5–6 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and golden.
Max Lowery is a personal trainer and online health coach who trains many high-profile celebrity clients, influencers and tastemakers, including some of the world’s top models. In The 2-Meal Day, Max Lowery introduces intermittent fasting – eat just two meals a day, either breakfast and lunch or lunch and dinner – to burn fat and get fit fast.
Ditch the calorie-counting and the sugar highs and lows and enjoy two meals a day alongside Max’s workouts for a leaner, fitter, healthier body.
The 2 Meal Day by Max Lowery is published by Kyle Books. Photography by Kate Whitaker and Michelle Beatty.