Good For You Granola with Fruit Compote By Savour Food Co.
Good for you granola with fruit compote and natural yoghurt by Savour Food Co. An energy-boosting granola, perfect for breakfast or brunch – and it’s good for you too! You can add pretty much any dried fruit, nuts and seeds of your choice. It’s also nice as a grazing snack if you’re a little peckish. The compôte makes for a delicious accompaniment to the granola along with natural yoghurt. For the fruit, almost anything can be used – apples, figs, apricots, rhubarb, berries…the list is endless. However we recommend to use seasonal fruits to get the best flavour. If you’ve any leftovers, it makes a delicious dessert with a few scoops of vanilla ice-cream (thus no waste!!!)
For the Granola:
– 60ml pure maple syrup
– 1 tbsp honey
– 150g Flahavans jumbo porridge oats
– 50g flaked almonds
– 50g mixed seeds
– 50g dried fruit or berries (eg. sultana’s, raisins, cranberries)
– 20g coconut flakes or desiccated coconut (unsweetened)
For the Summer Fruit Compote:
– 500g of Fresh or Frozen fruit (we’ve used frozen mixed berries)
– 2 tbsp caster sugar
– 1 tbsp honey
– 60 ml water
– 1 vanilla pod or 1-2 tsp of pure vanilla extract
– 1kg of good quality natural unsweetened yoghurt
For the Granola:
1. Heat oven to 170C Conventional/150C Fan /Gas 2.
2. Mix the maple syrup and honey in a large bowl. Tip in all the remaining ingredients, except the dried fruit and coconut, and mix well.
3. Tip the granola onto a large lined baking sheet and spread evenly. Bake for 15 mins, then mix in the coconut and dried fruit.
4. Reduce the temperature to 150C Conventional/ 130C Fan/Gas 1 and bake for 10-15 mins more. 5. Remove and scrape onto a flat tray to cool. It will be soft when hot but will harden up once cooled so don’t be tempted to overcook.
6. The granola can be stored in an airtight container for ages (will stay fresh for weeks if not a couple of months).
For the Summer Fruit Compôte:
1. Place all the ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer gently over a medium heat for 10-15 minutes.
2. Remove the lid and reduce to a low heat. Continue to cook for a further 10-15 minutes until it has thickened slightly, stirring well to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
3. Set aside to cool slightly. It can be served warm.
4. If not serving immediately, when the compôte has cooled slightly, spoon it into 1-2 sterilised, lidded jars. Seal the jars, then set aside until completely cool.
5. Chill in the fridge until needed. (NB: The compôte can be kept for up to two weeks).
1. Place approx. 40g per person of granola into a bowl.
2. Top with 2 heaped tbsp of natural yoghurt.
3. Drizzle with 1-2 tbsp of the fruit compote & enjoy!
Emma & Jen, the sisters who run Savour Food Co, a Dublin based food company. They provide food for all occasions and events. Their offering is bespoke and flexible – creative, quality food with a personalised service. All of our food is handmade from scratch, using only quality ingredients. Our emphasis is on seasonal and local ingredients in so far as possible. The sisters run group cookery classes and demonstrations at their purpose built kitchen in North Dublin.