Ham and Fontina Strudel Recipe by Eileen Dunne-Crescenzi
This ham and fontina strudel recipe is a quick and easy puff pastry sandwich that is perfect for brunch or for an aperitivo.
– 300g ready-made frozen puff pastry, defrosted and ready to use
– 500g Fontina cheese, sliced
– 250g good-quality cooked ham, sliced
– 1 free-range or organic egg yolk, beaten
– lightly dressed rocket leaves, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 185C. Line two baking trays with parchment paper.
2. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured board and cut into six equal rectangles.
3. Place alternate layers of cheese and ham (you want four layers in total) on one half of each rectangle, leaving a 1cm border. Fold over the other half of the rectangle and seal the edges together, crimping with the tines of a fork. Glaze the top of each parcel with a little beaten egg yolk.
4. Transfer to the lined baking trays.
5. Cook for 20 minutes, until the pastry is golden. Serve warm with a side salad of lightly dressed rocket leaves.
To buy your copy visit www.gillmacmillanbooks.ie.