Top of the Pubs – These Are Officially the Best Pubs in Ireland
The inaugural Irish Pub Awards National Irish Pub of the Year were held last night and it was a Wexford Pub that took the title of Irish Pub of the Year 2017.
The Porter House, based in Castlebridge, Co Wexford, was crowned national champion after winning the Best Local Pub, one of eight categories announced at last night’s awards.
A traditional old-style pub The Porter House is owned by Castlebridge native Myles Doyle and his wife Sharon. Thoroughly immersed in the local community, the bar completed a major redevelopment in 2015 and was commended on its constant innovation, including a newly introduced specialised gin menu, local craft beers and a new premium whiskey offering.
Winners of the eight categories were selected from over 500 applications and announced by Minister of State for Tourism and Sport, Brendan Griffin T.D., at the Gala Ceremony in the RDS Concert Hall.
At the inaugural Irish Pub Awards, Pat Crotty, VFI President said: “The Porter House in Castlebridge is a great representation of what the Irish Pub is all about – a place to meet family and friends, enjoy great food, listen to music and be entertained or just spend quality time away from the stresses and strains of everyday life.”
“The pub offering has changed dramatically in the past decade. Publicans have responded to changing consumer demands and we have seen tonight what our pubs are now offering in terms of excellent casual dining, contemporary beers and spirits, tourist attractions and overall entertainment to suit all types of customer”.
The full list of The Irish Pub Awards winners are:
– Innovative Pub of the Year: The Roadside Tavern, Lisdoonvarna, Co. Clare
– Best Music Pub: Matt The Millers, Kilkenny City
– Best Outdoor Space: The Terrace at Dinn Rí, Co. Carlow
– Outstanding Customer Service: The Bog Road, Portlaoise, Co Laois
– Best Tourist Pub: The Stag’s Head, Dublin
– Pub Personality of the Year: Johnny Quilty – The Goat Bar & Grill, Clonskeagh, Dublin
– Best Local Pub: The Porter House, Castlebridge, Co. Wexford
– Best Food Pub: Mickey Finn’s, Redcross, Co. Wicklow