Nothing beats the unique and delicious flavour of lamb. Whether it’s cooked with just a little seasoning or combined with exotic spices and flavours, lamb is the perfect hero ingredient for everyday meal occasions, whether you’re flying solo or cooking for family or friends.
Lamb is also a quick and simple meat to prepare which can be easily transformed for a variety of ethnic cuisines. From Moroccan lamb tagines to spicy quesadillas from Mexico; Ceylon lamb curry from Sri Lanka to Japanese style lamb yakitori, and not least forgetting delicious lamb burgers and kebabs perfect for al fresco dining over the summer – there is something to suit all tastes and every meal occasion.
This lamb kebabs recipe is simple and delicious, perfect for a summer picnic. Give your everyday meals an exciting twist and check out www.tastyeasylamb.ie for recipe inspiration.
– 800 g shoulder of lamb, trimmed and cubed
– 4 tbsp. olive oil
– 2 large lemons
– 1 bunch of flat-leaf parsley
– 3 or 4 cloves of garlic
– 1 level tbsp. turmeric
– 1 level tbsp. sumac
– 250g bulgur wheat or couscous
– 50g raisins
– salt and pepper
– 1 small bunch of mint
– 4 scallions
– 3 tomatoes
1. Mix 2 tbsp. of olive oil with the juice of half a lemon, 2-3 tbsp. of chopped flat-leaf parsley, the peeled and sliced garlic cloves, turmeric and sumac in a dish. Add the cubed meat, mix well, then cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
2. Place the bulgur wheat and raisins in a mixing bowl. Pour in 250 ml of boiling water, add a little salt and leave to swell.
3. Meanwhile, chop the rest of the flat-leaf parsley, scallions and mint. De-seed and then dice the tomatoes. Juice the remaining lemons.
4. Pour 2 tbsp. olive oil over the bulgur wheat, mix well with a fork to distribute, then add the rest of the ingredients (add lemon juice to taste). Mix and season to taste. Cover and leave in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
5. About 30 minutes before serving, take the meat out of the fridge, thread onto 8 kebab sticks making sure to remove any pieces of garlic. Season with a little salt and pepper.
6. Grill the kebabs on a barbecue or in a grill pan.
7. Serve straight away with the tabbouleh.
Tip: The longer you marinate the meat, the softer and more flavoursome it will become.