Nothing beats the unique and delicious flavour of lamb. Whether it’s cooked with just a little seasoning or combined with exotic spices and flavours, lamb is the perfect hero ingredient for everyday meal occasions, whether you’re flying solo or cooking for family or friends.
Lamb is also a quick and simple meat to prepare which can be easily transformed for a variety of ethnic cuisines.
From Moroccan lamb tagines to spicy quesadillas from Mexico; Ceylon lamb curry from Sri Lanka to Japanese style lamb yakitori, and not least forgetting delicious lamb burgers and kebabs perfect for al fresco dining over the summer – there is something to suit all tastes and every meal occasion.
– 700g minced lamb
– 1 large and 1 small onion
– 2 carrots
– 1 small courgette
– 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
– 2 tbs. olive oil
– 1 tbs. fresh oregano or thyme, chopped
– 750ml passata
– salt and freshly ground black pepper
– 3 sprigs flat-leaf parsley
– 1 egg
– 50g breadcrumbs
– To serve: pasta and salad
1. Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4, 180°C (350°F).
2. Peel and chop the large onion finely.
3. Finely dice the carrots and courgette.
4. Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
5. Add the onion, carrots, courgette and half the garlic and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes.
6. Sprinkle the oregano or thyme over the top, mix for a minute, then pour in the passata. Season with a little salt and black pepper. Allow to simmer gently.
7. Meanwhile, roughly chop the small onion and place in a food processor. Add the parsley, the rest of the garlic, the egg, a little salt and black pepper. Blitz until smooth.
8. Place this mixture along with the lamb and breadcrumbs in a large bowl. Mix well to combine. Season.
9. Roll into meatballs the size of a ping-pong ball and place in a roasting tin which has been lined with baking parchment. Cook in the oven for 15 minutes.
10. Add the meatballs to the sauce and allow to simmer for 10 more minutes.
11. Serve hot with pasta and salad.
Tip: These meatballs freeze well. Why not make a larger batch and freeze in portions for those nights when you are too tired to cook?
This feature was created for the ‘Lamb – Tasty, Easy, Fun Campaign’, a new campaign launched in association with Bord Bia with co-funding from the EU. Visit www.tastyeasylamb.ie a tasty and fun destination for all things lamb.