Lemon and Coconut Cake Recipe by Theresa Storey
This lemon and coconut cake recipe is one of the first cakes I taught my kids to bake, as it’s simple, quick to make and delicious. It’s one of my mom’s recipes; she used to bake this cake to sell in the market. It keeps for up to 2 weeks in an airtight tin and freezes well.
Makes either a small loaf (21×11×6 cm/8½×4½×2½ inches) or 12 individual buns
For the cake
– 1 tsp grated lemon peel
– 170 g (6 oz) plain flour
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 110 g (4 oz) butter
– 110 g (4 oz) sugar
– 2 medium eggs
– 75 ml (2½ fl. oz) milk
– 60 g (2 oz) desiccated coconut
For the topping
– 1 tbsp lemon juice
– 1 tbsp caster sugar
– 2 tbsp desiccated coconut
Make the cake
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F/Gas 3).
2. Place the lemon peel, flour, baking powder, butter, sugar, eggs and milk into a mixer and beat for about 2 minutes until smooth and glossy. Fold in the coconut.
3. Pour into parchment-lined tins, filling them only two-thirds full.
4. Bake for 25–35 minutes for small cakes or 50 minutes to an hour for larger cakes until they are a light golden brown and an inserted skewer comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool in the tin. When cool, remove from the tin and place right side up on a wire rack.
Make the topping
1. For the topping, mix the lemon juice and the caster sugar together.
2. Brush this mixture over the top of the cooled cake. Sprinkle the coconut all across the top.
3. Leave to sit for a few minutes, then it’s ready to eat.
Born in Detroit but raised in County Clare Theresa Storey now lives in rural County Limerick where she puts her Botany degree to good use growing fruit and vegetables and managing the family orchards and woodland.
She uses the fruit of her labour to make fabulous preserves for her company The Green Apron which has won many national and international food awards.
She also teaches sustainable living, blogs and tries to keep up with her three kids.
From Fruit on the Table by Theresa Storey, published by The O’Brien Press. Priced €19.99/£16.99, available from all good bookshops now.
[TT-FOURBLOCK ID=”68660, 68181, 67239, 68666″]