Lemon Coconut Strawberry Squares Recipe by Catherine Fulvio and Siúcra
Catherine Fulvio and Siúcra’s recipe for Lemon Coconut Strawberry Squares are bursting with flavour including subtle hints of lemon and fresh strawberries.
Drizzled with a lemon glaze and topped with shredded coconut these squares are the perfect treat for every summer Afternoon Tea. This recipe makes 18 pieces.
200g strawberries, hulled and sliced
For the squares
-200g softened butter
-200g Siucra light brown suga
-1 lemon, zest only
-4 tbsp desiccated coconut
-300g self-raising flour
-1 tsp vanilla extract
For the top
-200g strawberries, hulled and sliced
-2 lemons, zest only
-100g granulated sugar
For the drizzle
-100g Siucra icing sugar
-2 to 3 tbsp lemon juice
Toasted coconut flakes, to decorate
To prepare the cake
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Line 18cm x 32cm rectangle tin with baking parchment.
2. Arrange the strawberry slices on the base of the baking paper.
3. 4. Add the lemon zest and eggs and whisk after each addition.
5. Fold in the desiccated coconut, flour and vanilla extract.
6. Add enough milk to form a soft cake batter.
7. Spread the cake batter over the strawberries in the baking tin.
8. Arrange the strawberry halves on top. Sprinkle over the lemon zest and sugar over the top and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes until cooked or when a skewer is inserted and it comes out clean.
9. Leave on a cooling rack to set before taking it out the tin.
To prepare the drizzle icing
1. Place the Siúcra Icing Sugar into a bowl and add just enough lemon juice to make a paste.
2. Cut into squares.
3. Drizzle the icing over and sprinkle over the coconut flakes
Catherine Fulvio the award-winning cookbook author has developed a series of sweet and savoury mini recipes exclusively for Siúcra, to showcase the functionality and breadth of the product range as well as demonstrating how fun, quick and easy it is to make delicious dishes from scratch, regardless of ability.