This sticky citrus lemon cake is practically belching with age-defying vitamins like E, C and plant-based calcium. Its fantastical glow comes from a spice called turmeric, also known as poor man’s saffron. Turmeric delivers a cargo of anti-inflammatory artillery for squeaky bones and damaged skin. Think of it as Botox baking.
Makes 16 servings
– 3 cups (300g) ground almonds
– 4 eggs
– juice of 1 large unwaxed lemon
– 6 tbsp cold-pressed macadamia or coconut oil
– up to 3 tablespoons light agave or honey
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 1 tsp ground turmeric
– 1/2 tsp unrefined salt
For the Drizzle:
– juice of 1 lemon
– approx. 2 tbsp light agave or raw honey
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C/150°C fan/340°F.
2. Line a 20cm x 20cm square brownie tin with non-stick paper.
3. Blend everything in a food processor or electric blender. That’s it!
4. Pour into your prepped tin and bake for 22–25 minutes, removing it from the oven before it browns.
5. Leave to cool in the tin.
6. Now for the shizzle. Gently warm the lemon juice with the agave or honey in a small saucepan.
7. Pour over your cake while still warm. A few piercings from a fork will help.
The Virtuous Tart is published by Gill & Macmillan is available in stores nationwide and and online priced at €24.99.