I must have been American in a previous life because to me, there is no better thing than this pancakes recipe with bacon and lashings of maple syrup.
Ever the optimist, I like to think eating this on a frequent basis won’t do too much damage, but I think we all know where that discussion is heading (after all, it’s a little bit of what you fancy that’ll do you good, not plate after plate!).
Instead, on the days I have a pancake craving, I make these. Banana is mashed into the batter so you don’t need to use as much flour and you get a light and airy batter that cooks just as well.
– 2 ripe bananas
– 2 eggs
– 4 level tbsp self-raising flour
– 2 tsp vegetable oil, for brushing
– 6 tbsp icing sugar
– Zest and juice of 1 orange
1. In a blender, blitz the bananas, eggs and flour until smooth. Allow the mixture to rest for a few minutes.
2. Heat a non-stick pan over a medium heat and brush with the vegetable oil. Ladle tennis ball-sized dollops onto the pan and cook for a couple of minutes until bubbles form on the surface–now they are ready to flip.
3. Using a spatula or fish slice, carefully flip each pancake over one by one.
4. Cook the pancakes for another minute or two, then transfer onto kitchen paper. You may need to cook the pancakes in batches of 3–4 depending on the size of your pan.
5. Mix the icing sugar with enough orange juice and zest to form a loose icing with a drizzling consistency. Stack the pancakes, drizzle with the orange icing and serve with fresh raspberries.
– A handful of fresh raspberries
Milly’s Real Food contains 100+ recipes all about going back to basics and creating tasty classics from scratch with a modern twist. These recipes embrace sustainable and accessible ingredients, easy methods and a refreshingly fad-free approach to home cooking.
Recipes including Saffron and Prosecco baked mussels, Rioja and Jerk Lamb shanks and Death by Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake, Milly is an advocate of using fresh produce, eating a varied diet and having fun with food.
Milly’s Real Food by Nicola ‘Milly’ Millbank is published by HQ, HarperCollins, 4th May, £20.