Massaged Kale Caesar Salad Recipe from The Eat Smart Cookbook
I used to love Caesar salads but they usually contain little nutritional value, and of course contain heaps of dairy in the dressing. I’ve ‘superfooded’ my Caesar Salad recipe to contain an abundance of antioxidants from ingredients such as kale and tahini. What’s more, it has a real punch of flavour.
– 1 lemon
– 180g (4 tightly packed cups) curly kale leaves
– 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
– ½ thick slice of rye bread
– 5 unsalted raw cashew nuts, chopped
– 5 black olives, pitted and sliced
– 6 vine cherry tomatoes, quartered (optional)
– Pink Himalayan salt or sea salt
– 1 tbsp capers
– 1 tsp Dijon mustard
– 2 garlic cloves, peeled
– 2 tbsp tahini
– 3 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
– 1 tbsp nutritional yeast pink Himalayan salt or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Zest the lemon and keep to one side. Place the kale in a bowl with the juice of half the lemon, the olive oil and a pinch of salt and rub the kale leaves between your fingers for about 3 minutes until softened and darkened in colour.
2. Add all the dressing ingredients to a small food processor or blender with the juice from the remaining lemon half and a pinch of salt and pepper and whizz until smooth.
3. Stir 3 tablespoons of the dressing into the kale and mix until well coated.
4. To make the croutons, toast the rye bread until nice and crispy (you may need to toast the bread twice).
5. Cut the toasted rye bread into small cubes and serve scattered over the dressed kale with the chopped cashews, sliced olives, lemon zest and the cherry tomatoes, if using.
Niomi Smart’s passion is healthy food and her most popular YouTube video series, What I Eat in a Day, inspires a global audience of millions to look, live and feel better. Now, for the first time, she has compiled all of her favourite recipes into a cookbook to show you the smart way to eat.
Already an online phenomenon, Niomi creates recipes for anyone who wants to feel amazing from the inside out, covering: breakfasts, lunches, dinners, desserts, snacks, baked treats and drinks, she offers a really easy way to eat delicious, healthy food at every mealtime.
Eat Smart by Niomi Smart is available to buy here.