This colourful rice bowl recipe is full of fresh and delicious ingredients that are also good for you. It is inspired by M&S Spirit of Summer range that celebrates the best of the Americas, consisting of 300 delicious new food and drink products.
– 1 large sweet potatoes
– 1 red onion
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– 1 tsp oregano
– 1 garlic clove
– 1 white onion
– 150g brown rice
– 350ml vegetable stock
– 400g tinned red kidney beans
– 1 ripe avocado
– 1 lime
– 0.5 tsp chipotle chilli flakes
– 0.5 tbsp cider vinegar
– 20g Santini tomatoes
– 0.5 packs fresh coriander
– 1 tsp paprika
Prep the ingredients
1. Cut the sweet potatoes into bite-sized chunks. Slice the red onions. Crush the garlic cloves. Finely chop the white onions. Drain and rinse the tinned red kidney beans. Juice the limes. Halve the Santini tomatoes. Leave some leaves whole to garnish, and chop the rest of the leaves of the fresh coriander.
Make the Rice Bowl
1. Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
2. Toss the sweet potato and red onion with half the oil, half the oregano, half the paprika and half the garlic, along with some salt and freshly ground black pepper.
3. Tip onto a baking tray and roast for 35-40 minutes, turning halfway through, until the onions are crispy and the sweet potato is starting to caramelise and turn golden brown at the edges.
4. Heat the rest of the oil in a small saucepan and soften the white onion with a pinch of salt for about 5 minutes.
5. Add the rice and the remaining oregano, paprika and garlic, stir to coat, then cook for 15 seconds to lightly toast the rice.
6. Pour in the stock, bring to the boil, then cover with a lid and turn the heat down to low.
7. Cook for 25-30 minutes, until the rice is tender and the stock has evaporated.
8. Remove the lid and stir in the kidney beans.
9. Cover again with the lid, then turn off the heat but leave the pan on the hob to keep warm.
10. Meanwhile stone, peel and slice the avocado into long fingers and put in a bowl.
11. Squeeze over the lime and add the chilli flakes, vinegar and tomatoes.
12. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and mix in half the chopped coriander.
13. Stir the remaining chopped coriander into the rice and divide between 2 bowls.
14. Top with the roasted sweet potatoes and crispy red onion, then finish with the tomato and avocado salsa and the whole coriander leaves.
All ingredients are available from Marks & Spencer.
This summer Marks & Spencer is celebrating the best of the Americas with the launch Spirit of Summer –consisting of 300 delicious new food and drink products.
The food experts at Marks & Spencer have travelled throughout Central and South America, as well as to the Southern States of the USA, visiting street food stalls, scouring restaurants and pop ups to find the latest food trends and dishes, creating the most exciting Marks & Spencer summer offering yet.
Bursting with innovation, Spirit of Summer is full of exotic and powerful flavours to take you on an exotic trip to warmer climes. Tangy explosions of tropical fruits like Lime, Pineapple, Mango and Guava appear in everything from Salmon Skewers with Lime, Chilli and Mint to Cucumber & Lemon Agua Fresca.
Marks & Spencer offers an extensive range of food and wine. There are 17 stores in the Republic of Ireland. To find your nearest store visit www.marksandspencer.ie