Miso & Jameson Marinated Monkfish Recipe from Ferrit & Lee, Bord Bia Just Ask Restaurant of the Month March 2018
This delicious monkfish recipe, like many dishes at Ferrit & Lee, has prominent Asian influences and has been adapted to use some of the quality ingredients available on their doorstep in Midleton in Cork.
– 800g monkfish
– 225g white miso
– 150ml Jameson
– 100g local honey
– 500g basmati rice
– 2 limes
– 2 heads pok choy
– ½ head kale
– 1 bunch sprouting broccoli
– Hoisin sauce
– 5g sea salt
– 2 bunches spring onions
– 1 thumb size ginger
– 2tbl rice wine vinegar
– 2tbl dark soya sauce
– 2tbl vegetable oil
1. Heat 150ml of Jameson until it comes to the boil. Add 225g of white miso and 100g of honey and dissolve. Then let it cool.
2. Portion the monkfish into 4 pieces and marinate in the miso and honey mix for 24 hours.
3. Blanch and refresh ½ head of kale and 1 broccoli bunch in boiling salt water.
4. Wash, dry and thinly slice 2 bunches of spring onions. Peel and finely chop 1 thumb size of ginger.
5. Then add together with 2 tablespoons of dark soya sauce, 2 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar and 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
6. Add 500g of basmati rice to boiling salted water for 12 minutes. Then strain and add 5g sea salt and the zest and juice of 2 limes.
7. Place the rice in a cup and press down firmly to shape the rice in the cup. Then, turn the cup over to serve the shaped rice.
8. Pan fry the monkfish in a little vegetable oil. Place on a pan and put in a 180°C oven
for five minutes.
9. Take the monkfish out, add a spoon of butter and baste for 2 minutes.
10. Flip over to the other side and continue to baste for 2 minutes. Rest for 5 minutes before serving.
11. Heat a pan with a little vegetable oil, add your combination of kale, broccoli and pok
choy. Fry at a high temperature for 1 minute, add hoisin sauce and cook for 1 minute further.
12. Add this to the rice and monkfish and serve. Use spring onion salsa as a garnish over rice and monkfish.
Bord Bia’s Just Ask initiative was established in 2009 to recognise restaurants across the country that demonstrate best practice both in sourcing local produce, and profiling suppliers on their menus.
Ferrit & Lee in Midelton, Cork has just been awarded Just Ask Restaurant of the Month for March by food writer Georgina Campbell and Bord Bia.
This post is sponsored by Bord Bia and the Just Ask Campaign. For additional information on Just Ask or to find out how to get involved, visit www.bordbia.ie.