Orange and Elderflower Polenta Cake Recipe by Chef Shane Smith
Bring a little sunshine to your table with this delicious yet simple Orange elderflower polenta cake recipe. Its citrus, floral and fun.
– 125ml rapeseed oil
– 150g coarse polenta
– 75g plain flour
– 1/2 tsp baking powder
– 150g caster sugar
– 2 large eggs
– 2 egg whites
– 250g yoghurt
– Zest & juice of 1 medium orange
– Soaking syrup
– 125g caster sugar
– 180ml Orange juice
– 3 elderflower heads
1. Preheat the oven to 160C
2. Grease and line a 20cm loose bottom cake tin.
3. In a bowl whisk the sugar, eggs and whites until thick and pale in colour. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, polenta and baking powder.
4. Add the oil and yoghurt to the egg mixture and mix.
5. Add in the dry ingredients and fold to incorporate.
6. Pour the batter into the lined tin and bake in the centre of the oven for 45-50 minutes.
7. When this is baking, place all the ingredients for the soaking liquid into a pot and heat gently until the sugar has dissolves, set aside.
8. Once the cake is baked, remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack, strain the liquid and spoon over the cake in stages until it is all soaked in.
9. Top with some orange zest and serve with a spoon of natural yoghurt. Enjoy
[su_note note_color=”#eeede9″]RECIPE BY CHEF SHANE SMITH[/su_note]
Shane Smith hails from Co Cavan and has been cooking his way around Ireland and further afield for the past 16 years, starting his training in Co. Donegal in Tourism College Killybegs and then extending his studies to Galway Mayo Institute of Technology graduating with a degree in Culinary Arts, specialising in Pastry.
Shane has been very fortunate to have worked in and ran the pastry sections in some of Ireland’s leading 5* hotels and restaurants. Shane can be spotted all over the country carrying out his fun, interactive demonstrations with some of Ireland’s leading chefs. In September 2015, Shane was honoured to be awarded the title of “Best Bakery Manager in Ireland” in conjunction with Shelflife magazine and most recently has landed a cookery slot on Sunday AM where he can been seen regularly bringing his natural flare and love for all things sweet from the TV3 studios into the nation’s homes. chefshanesmith.ie
[su_button url=”https://twitter.com/shanesmith83″ target=”blank” style=”flat” background=”#1da4d7″ color=”#ffffff” radius=”0″ icon=”icon: twitter-square” icon_color=”#ffffff”]Shane Smith[/su_button] [su_button url=”https://www.facebook.com/chefshanesmith” target=”blank” style=”flat” background=”#1d62d7″ color=”#ffffff” radius=”0″ icon=”icon: facebook-square” icon_color=”#ffffff”]Shane Smith[/su_button]