Plaice Bonne Femme Recipe From Chef Kevin Curran From The Keadeen Hotel
This Plaice Bonne Femme recipe was created by Chef Kevin Curran from the Keadeen Hotel in Co.Kildare. This recipe serves 2 people.
Note: Any White Flat Fish can be used in this dish. I’ve used Plaice as it can be bought in most Fishmongers.
– 6oz Skinless plaice fillet
– 2oz French beans
– 1oz Sliced Leek
– 2oz Baby Spinach
– ½ Pint Cream
– 2oz Sliced Mushrooms
– 1 Shallot Finely Diced
– 1 Clove Garlic, Sliced
– ½ Cup Chardonnay White Wine
– 2 Sprigs of Thyme
– 100g Butter
– 1 Vegetable Stock Cube
– 25g Corn Flour
– Sprigs Dill to garnish
– ½ Cup Olive Oil
1. Pre Heat oven to 160°
2. Put Pan on high heat with 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
3. Fry the Plaice Fillet on pan turning once to get good colour on each side. Remove from heat and place on a buttered tray ready for oven.
4. Boil a pot of water and add a little salt.
5. In another pot, add 1/2 oz butter for sauce. When butter is hot add Shallot, Mushroom, Garlic & Thyme and cook until soft.
6. Add White Wine, Cream & Stock Cube to pot. Simmer and thicken with Cornflour, season with Salt & Pepper and set aside.
7. In the pot of boiling water, plunge the French Beans, bring back to the boil & simmer for 15 seconds, drain away water.
8. You can now put the Plaice in the oven and cook for 5 minutes.
9. Add 25g Butter to Beans in pot & add Spinach & Leeks, further sweat on low heat for 3 minutes, season & set aside.
To plate up
1. Heat 2 plates in the oven.
2. Spoon your buttered Mixed Greens on to the centre of the plate
3. Drizzle the Bonne Femme Sauce around the greens
4. Set your Plaice Fillet on top of greens & garnish with Dill.
Kevin’s first steps in cooking came when he was just 14 when he started working in The Loft Restaurant in Bunratty, but his real education came from Roger Porrott, the owner of Gooser’s Bar & Restaurant in Lough Derg.
Having trained at RTC Galway, Kevin worked in Germany before returning to Ireland to take up a position in McGrattan’s of the Lane in Dublin.
Kevin has been working in Keadeen Hotel since 2011, and the recent development works to the Saddler’s Bar & Bistro and the Bay Leaf Restaurant has injected a new lease of life into the dining experience at the well- known Kildare hotel.