Plum and Almond Tart Recipe by Chef Shane Smith
This rustic, nutty plum and almond tart recipe is incredible. Buttery puff pastry, juicy plums, toasted almonds paired with the lightly spiced cinnamon cream are a match made in heaven.
– 500g puff pastry
– 8 medium plums
– 30g butter
– 30g caster sugar
– 30g ground almonds
– 40g plain flour
– 25g whole egg
– 2 tbsp flaked almonds
– 300ml single cream
– ½ tsp ground cinnamon
1. For the frangipane, cream the butter and sugar until smooth, crack one egg and whisk, add 25g of this to the butter and sugar. Keep the remaining egg back to use for egg wash.
2. Once the egg is incorporated, add in the flour and ground almonds and mix to form a smooth paste.
3. Preheat your oven to 180ºC.
4. On a floured work surface, roll the puff pastry into a neat rectangle (20cm x 30cm)
5. Place this on a lined baking tray and spread on the frangipan, leaving a 1cm border around the edge.
6. Cut the plums in half removing the stone and place these on top of the frangipan.
7. Brush the edges with the remaining egg wash, sprinkle with flaked almonds and bake in the centre of the oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
8. For the cinnamon cream, very simply whip the cream and cinnamon together until semi whipped and serve on the side.
Shane Smith hails from Co Cavan and has been cooking his way around Ireland and further afield for the past 16 years, starting his training in Co. Donegal in Tourism College Killybegs and then extending his studies to Galway Mayo Institute of Technology graduating with a degree in Culinary Arts, specialising in Pastry.
Shane has been very fortunate to have worked in and ran the pastry sections in some of Ireland’s leading 5* hotels and restaurants. Shane can be spotted all over the country carrying out his fun, interactive demonstrations with some of Ireland’s leading chefs. In September 2015, Shane was honoured to be awarded the title of “Best Bakery Manager in Ireland” in conjunction with Shelflife magazine and most recently has landed a cookery slot on Sunday AM where he can been seen regularly bringing his natural flare and love for all things sweet from the TV3 studios into the nation’s homes.