Classic Prawn Cocktail Recipe From Chef Kevin Curran From The Keadeen Hotel
This classic prawn cocktail recipe was created by Chef Kevin Curran from the Keadeen Hotel in Co.Kildare.
– 6 – 8oz Peeled & deveined Dublin Bay Prawns or shrimps
– 1 Lemon
– ½ Pint mayonnaise
– 1 tbsp horseradish
– ½ Shot of brandy
– 5g Paprika
– 2 tbsp of ketchup
– 2 Heads of baby gem lettuce
– 1 Lime
– 1 Head of chicory
– Salt & pepper
1. Place a large pot on range with water, ½ lemon & salt & bring to the boil
2. Plunge prawns in boiling water & bring back to the boil (don’t leave pot unattended). Simmer for 2 minutes & place under cold running water.
3. Mix mayonnaise, ketchup, horseradish & paprika, keeping a pinch back for garnish. Add brandy & squeeze a wedge of lemon into sauce and mix.
4. Shred one head of baby gem lettuce & ¾ fill martini glass with this.
5. Put one spoon of Marie Rose sauce on shredded lettuce & place prawns on top.
6. Finish with another spoon of Marie Rose sauce & garnish with a pinch of paprika & a leaf of chicory & baby gem with a slice of lime.
Kevin’s first steps in cooking came when he was just 14 when he started working in The Loft Restaurant in Bunratty, but his real education came from Roger Porrott, the owner of Gooser’s Bar & Restaurant in Lough Derg.
Having trained at RTC Galway, Kevin worked in Germany before returning to Ireland to take up a position in McGrattan’s of the Lane in Dublin.
Kevin has been working in Keadeen Hotel since 2011, and the recent development works to the Saddler’s Bar & Bistro and the Bay Leaf Restaurant has injected a new lease of life into the dining experience at the well- known Kildare hotel.