Roasted Mushrooms Recipe on Sourdough Toast by Rose Prince
Mushrooms on toast, taken to a richer and more festive level using exotic, fleshy king oyster mushrooms and a rich and buttery red wine reduction sauce. This roasted mushroom recipe is an ideal dish to serve to everyone for supper. It goes well with a spinach salad, followed by a board with interesting artisan cheeses.
Serving dish: individual plates
– 1kg oyster, king oyster or portobello mushrooms, or a mix of wild and cultivated mushrooms (chanterelles/girolles, ceps, portobello etc.)
– Extra virgin olive oil, for brushing
– Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Red wine sauce
– 2 large or 8 small shallots, finely chopped
– 2 garlic cloves, chopped
– 2 tbsp olive oil
– 2 sprigs thyme
– 300ml red wine
– 200ml vegetable stock
– 120g butter
– 4 slices white sourdough bread, brushed with olive oil and toasted
– 2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/375°F/Gas 5. Brush the mushrooms with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
2. Place them on a baking sheet and cook until they are golden – about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside in a warm place. Make the toast and wrap in a cloth to keep it warm without drying out.
3. To make the sauce, fry the shallots and garlic in the oil, over a medium-low heat, until pale gold.
4. Add the thyme, and then the red wine. Let this bubble for a minute then add the stock – you will have a thin ‘gravy’.
5. Simmer the sauce until it reduces by half, then add the butter and whisk – it will be glossy and thick.
6. Strain it through a sieve and return it to the pan. Spoon the mushrooms over the toast, then pour over the hot sauce. Serve immediately.
[su_note note_color=”#eeede9″]RECIPE BY ROSE PRINCE FROM DINNER & PARTY[/su_note]
Rose Prince has been writing and campaigning about food for over 20 years and has written four cookbooks.
Whether you’re a beginner looking for simple, impressive recipes to feed friends and family, or a seasoned host hoping to inject your repertoire with stylish, interesting ideas, you’ll find all you need in Dinner & Party.
With sample menus, including an innovative guide to putting the right dishes together through the seasons, this is the friendly, practical guide to making entertaining easy in the 21st century, bringing everyone together.
[su_button url=”https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rose-Prince/118348534877338?v=wall” background=”#3f52a4″ radius=”0″ icon=”icon: facebook” icon_color=”#ffffff”]Rose Prince[/su_button] [su_button url=”https://twitter.com/Rose_Prince” background=”#52a7ec” radius=”0″ icon=”icon: twitter” icon_color=”#ffffff”]Rose Prince[/su_button]