Root Vegetable Panzanella Salad Recipe by Yvonne Connolly
This Root Vegetable Panzanella Salad recipe was created by Yvonne Connolly to celebrate National Bread Week, from 9th to 15th October 2016. It makes for a perfect autumn lunch, and is creative way to use your loaf! For a non-vegetarian option, add diced pancetta or chorizo to the vegetables with tomatoes.
– 300g sweet potatoes, cut into small chunks
– 1 parsnip, cut into small chunks
– 2 carrots, cut into small chunks
– 1 red pepper, cut into chunks
– 2 tbsp oil
– 1 bunch spring onions, cut into 3cm pieces
– 100g cherry tomatoes
– 150g Irish brown soda bread, torn into bite sized pieces
– 1 small sweet cos lettuce, shredded
– 3 tbsp honey and mustard dressing
1. Preheat the oven to 200oC, gas mark 6.
2. Place the root vegetables and pepper into a roasting tin and toss with 1 tbsp oil and season. Roast for 15 minutes then stir in the spring onions and tomatoes and roast for a further 10 minutes. Allow to cool.
3. Meanwhile, toss the bread in the remaining oil and spread out onto a baking tray and roast for 10 minutes until golden.
4. Toss into the vegetables along with the lettuce and dressing then serve.
Events will be taking place for National Bread Week in bakeries and stores across Ireland. Many will be offering tastings and promotions as well as events for local communities and the chance to meet the men and women responsible for Ireland’s bread. The week offers the perfect opportunity to learn more about bread – its value, versatility and the fantastic variety on offer every day.
For more information visit www.nationalbreadweek.ie