Shaved Beetroot and Radish Salad Recipe by Darina Allen
This is such a beautiful salad recipe and is made in minutes – it also makes the growing number of raw food aficionados happy and is a super way to show off your beetroot crop.
Serves 4 as a starter
– 8 French breakfast radishes
– 1 red beetroot, such as Boltardy
– 1 yellow beetroot, such as Golden Globe
– 1 Chioggia beetroot
– A few sprigs of flat-leaf parsley, leaves
– Picked rocket leaves, golden marjoram and chervil, to serve
– 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
– 1 tbsp Forum Chardonnay white
– Vinegar or white balsamic vinegar
– Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Mix the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl. Season to taste and set aside.
2. Just before serving, wash the radishes and beets. Shave each one into thin rounds on a mandolin. Toss the lot with the parsley leaves and dress lightly with most of the dressing.
3. Arrange the slices of beetroot and radish on white plates, overlapping haphazardly.
4. Drizzle some of the remaining dressing over the top, add a few rocket leaves, golden marjoram and chervil to serve. (You may not need all the dressing depending on the size of the beets.)
Growing your own food is exciting but, when it comes to knowing how to make the most of your produce, it can be daunting.
In Grow, Cook, Nourish, bestselling author Darina Allen draws on more than 30 years of experience gardening at Ballymaloe to take you through an extensive list of vegetables, herbs and fruits with each entry including explanations of different varieties, practical information on cultivation, growing and maintenance, plus instructions for the best ways to cook produce as well as preserve and utilise a glut.
Taken from Grow Cook Nourish by Darina Allen, published by Kyle Books. Photography by Clare Winfield.