Siúcra’s Blueberry, Basil and Goat’s Cheese Bites Recipe
Perfectly ripe, in-season berries are one of spring’s treasures and are plentiful this time of year. This delicious recipe from Siúcra combines fresh blueberries with creamy goat’s cheese and a hint of basil for a taste sensation that is bursting with juicy flavour and the perfect picnic snack.
Handful of fresh basil leaves, torn
50g goat’s cheese
2tsp Siúcra Caster Sugar
100g butter, cold and cubed
1tbsp Siúcra Caster Sugar
50ml cold water
1 egg, beaten
- Combine blueberries with fresh basil, goat’s cheese and sugar in a bowl.
- Mash the blueberries with a spoon or fork and mix all the ingredients together.
- Put the flour in a bowl and add the cubes of butter.
- Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until you have a mixture that resembles coarse breadcrumbs with no large lumps of butter remaining.
- Stir in the cold water to bind the dough together.
- Wrap the dough in clingfilm and chill for 10-15 minutes before using.
- Dust the work surface and a rolling pin lightly with flour and roll out the pastry.
- Cut into circular shapes using a pastry cutter.
- Place on a lined baking tray and fill the centre of the circles with a spoonful of the filling.
- Fold over and seal with a fork.
- Brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle with caster sugar for a golden and crunchy finish.
- Cook in a pre-heated oven at 180°C for approx. 15 minutes.