Siúcra’s Vietnamese Trout with a Caramel Sauce Recipe with wine pairing
This Asian-inspired dish is packed full of flavour making it a must try this summer. The sweet and sticky caramel base balances out the hot and salty ingredients and is delicious when paired with fresh fish. Serve with some chilli rice or a quick salad to complete this tasty soul food dish.
– 100g Siúcra Rich Dark Brown Sugar
– Zest & juice of 2 limes
– 2 inches ginger root, grated
– 2 red chillies, finely chopped
– 2 tablespoons fish sauce
– 1 teaspoon coconut oil
– 2 sea trout fillets
– 4 scallions
1. Put the sugar and 4 tablespoons of cold water into a pot and stir to dissolve over a medium heat.
2. Bring to the boil and then reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 3 – 4 minutes.
3. Turn off the heat and add the lime juice and zest, ginger, chillies and fish sauce.
4. Turn the heat back on and heat the sauce for another 2 minutes on a low heat.
5. Meanwhile heat the coconut oil in a large frying pan. Then add the fish flesh side down. Cook for 3 minutes until beginning to turn golden then flip over and cook for another 3 minutes.
6. Once the fish is cooked remove from your pan and place on your serving dish. Pour over the sauce and garnish with some scallion curls.
To make the scallion curls: Cut each scallion into thirds and then cut each third into fine strips. Put some ice cubes into a bowl of water. Add the scallion strips and within a few minutes they will curl.
For more information on Siúcra products and/or recipes see www.siucra.ie
Our recommended Wine Pairing for this Recipe
On the nose this wine is delightfully aromatic with aromas of juicy citrus, tropical fruits and honeysuckle as well as touch of beeswax.
The palate is stunning so smooth and elegant with flavours of nectarines, ginger, lemon blossom and chalky tones. It has lovely minerality that balances the fruit with a medium body.
This wine is delicious on its own but will pair so well with this dish, the high acidity will balance with the sweetness of the caramel sauce while the fruity floral character will sing with the fish.
Available from O’Brien’s Wines Nationwide or Online.