Soft Taco Breakfast Recipe By Chef Jeeny Maltese
If you have never had a hot taco for breakfast, this recipe is just for You! The smell of freshly made hot tortillas, it is something to get addicted to. But if you don’t feel like making tortillas from scratch, that’s ok too, just make sure to try it at least once, I promise you’ll be hooked!
For 4-6 small taco-size tortillas
– 3/4 cup strong flour
– 1/2 cup maize flour (Harina Pan)
– 1 tablespoon lard or beef drippings
– 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
– Pinch of sea salt
– Sprinkle of oregano (optional)
– 1 cup of warm water (more if dough is too dry)
– 4 corn-fed free range eggs, scrambled or fried
– Homemade re-fried beans (optional)
– 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
– Alfalfa sprouts
– Coriander sprouts,
cheese, sour cream, jalapeños, pico de gallo, chilli sauce etc.
For The Tortillas
1. Combine flour, salt, oregano and baking powder in a bowl, mix dry ingredients until well combined.
2. Add lard and water until mixture comes together and begins to form a ball. Continue to mix until dough is smooth.
3. Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface. Divide into 4 equal portions.
4. Turn each piece to coat with flour. Form each piece into a ball and flatten with the palm of your hand.
5. Cover flattened balls of dough with a clean kitchen towel and allow to rest for at least 15 minutes (or as much as 2 hours) before proceeding.
6. After the rest period, heat a large pan over medium heat. Roll each dough piece into a rough circle, about 6-7 inches in diameter, keep work surface and rolling pin lightly floured. Don’t stack uncooked tortillas on top of each other or they will stick together.
7. When the pan is hot, place one dough circle into the pan and allow to cook about 1 minute or until the bottom surface has a few pale brown spots and the uncooked surface is bubbly. If browning too fast, reduce the heat a bit.
8. Flip to other side and cook for 15-20 seconds. The tortillas should be nice and soft but have a few small brown spots on the surface.
9. Remove from pan with tongs and stack in a covered container or zippered bag to keep the tortillas soft.
10. Serve warm or allow to cool for later use. When ready to use, place a slightly damp paper towel in the bottom of a microwave-safe container. Microwave uncovered for 15-30 seconds, then keep covered with a warm slightly damp towel to hold heat while serving.
To make scrambled eggs:
1. Whisk eggs together in a mixing bowl until they are smooth. (I like mine creamy, not milky. Add a splash of milk here if you like them that way.) Then
2. Heat 1 teaspoon of butter in a non-stick frying pan over medium-low heat.
3. Add eggs and cook — stirring often with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula — until they are scrambled to your desired degree.
1. Once eggs and toppings are ready to go, it’s time to assemble the tacos!
2. Simply spread a spoonful of re-fried beans on a hot tortilla, top with a spoonful of scrambled eggs, then load it up with sliced avocado, coriander & alfalfa, together with any of your preferred toppings.
3. Serve hot and devour!
[su_note note_color=”#eeede9″]RECIPE BY CHEF JEENY MALTESE [/su_note]
Jeeny Maltese, a Latin-American born TV chef & food writer. Featuring as celebrity chef on the RTE “Today Show with Maura & Daithi” and Virgin Media “The Six O’Clock Show”. Keynote speaker and guest chef at top festivals & events nationwide. Passionate about good eating & good food, making it accessible for everyone, through her cooking methods and philosophy. Enamoured with Ireland’s stunning land, quality food produce & its passionate people.
You can catch up with Jeeny at all the top summer food festivals this year, doing live cooking demonstrations on stage all over the country, from Taste of Dublin, Galway International Food Festival, Taste of Cavan, Savour Kilkenny and many more.
[su_button url=”https://www.facebook.com/JeenyMalteseChef/” background=”#3f52a4″ icon=”icon: facebook”]Jeeny Maltese[/su_button] [su_button url=”https://www.instagram.com/jeenymaltese/?hl=en” background=”#A78365″ icon=”icon: instagram”]Jeeny Maltese[/su_button] [su_button url=”https://twitter.com/jeeny_maltese/media” background=”#52a7ec” icon=”icon: twitter”]Jeeny Maltese[/su_button]