Strawberry Red Velvet Cake by Karyn Ryan
We have a very decadent Red Velvet Cake recipe from one of our favourite baking divas Karyn Ryan,a really scrumptious summer strawberry cake you might to try. It’s a Strawberry Red velvet Cake filled with Mascarpone Cream.
– 175g unsalted Butter softened
– 500g plain flour
– 1tsp salt
– 1tsp vanilla extract
– 340ml buttermilk
– 1 ½ tsp baking soda
– 1 ½ tsp cider vinegar
– 1tsp salt
– 3 tbsp cocoa powder
– 450g caster sugar
– 3 eggs at room temp
– Strawberry jam
– 1 heaped tsp “Sugarflair” extra red food colouring or 38ml Dr Oetkar red colouring
– Punnet of strawberries
– Grated milk chocolate
– 1 tub mascarpone cream
– 250ml whipping cream
– 2tbsp icing sugar
– 1tsp Vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Grease 2 x 20cm/8in diameter cake tins and line with baking parchment.
2. Beat the butter for a minute or so, until light and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat until incorporated. Scrape down the bowl to ensure all the ingredients are combined. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Beat in the cocoa, food colouring and vanilla extract.
3. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl, then add to the butter mixture in three stages, alternating with the buttermilk and scraping down after each addition.
4. Put the bicarbonate of soda and cider vinegar in a small bowl and whisk until it bubbles up. Add this to the cake batter and give it one last quick beat. Spoon the mixture into the tins and level the top of the batter.
5. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour. After 30 minutes, cover the top of the cake with foil to prevent it from browning too much. Test the cake after 45 minutes; when it is cooked, a knife or skewer inserted in the centre will come out clean.
6. Remove the foil and leave to cool on a wire rack for around 30 minutes. Remove from the tin and leave until completely cool before decorating.
7. To make the frosting, whip the mascarpone, cream, icing sugar & vanilla together until thick.
8. Cut each cake in half horizontally; again, use a bread knife. Now you have four layers of cake. Put the bottom layer of cake on your cake plate. Spread with jam and cream, making sure it’s not too thick; about 1cm/½in is perfect. Repeat with all the layers.
9. Cover the outside with cream, on the top layer spread a little strawberry jam and pipe some cream swirls. Cut strawberries in half and place in centre of cake.
10. Decorate the sides of the cake with grated chocolate…. and enjoy!
Hi I’m Karyn Ryan, Mum to four & totally addicted to baking, absolutely passionate about getting kids into the kitchen to bake, my inspiration comes from my kids who always come up with mad ideas for Cakes & Cookies! I have been known on numerous occasions to bake a cake for dinner! I was very lucky to win two awards in the Easy Food Magazine Home Cook Hero Awards in 2011 & 2012 for baking.