Sweet Potato, Orange, Coconut & Ginger Soup Recipe by The Food DNA
Now that it’s getting cold outside, trust me, this delicious Sweet Potato, Orange and Ginger Soup is just what you need. It’s creamy, delicately sweet, and mildly spicy. Like a warm hug on cold autumn evening.
It’s a natural cold & flu buster – loaded with nutrient rich local, seasonal ingredients.
– 3 medium sweet potatoes
– 4 medium carrots
– 1 orange
– 1/2 lime
– 3 tsp ginger paste
– 1/2 cup lentils
– 4-5 garlic cloves
– Can of coconut milk (for soup I used about 1/3 cup) – keep the rest in the fridge
– 2/3 cup red lentils
– salt, pepper to taste
1. In a small pot boil 3 sweet potatoes in lightly salted water, adding 4-5 peeled garlic cloves (until soft).
2. Add peeled carrots in the mix for 5-10 mins (as soon as sweet potatoes are almost ready).
3. Remove garlic from the pot.
4. In nutribullet/other blender blend sweet potatoes, carrots, 1/2 cup of liquid used for boiling vegetables (alternatively add chicken or vegetable stock) – add more water if needed (depending on desired consistency).
5. Add coconut milk, 3tsp ginger paste, juice of 1/2 orange, 1/2 lime. Blend.
6. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Add boiled red split lentils for extra protein and texture (optional).
8. Serve with red cabbage and kale (seasoned with salt, olive oil and squeeze of orange juice).
With a background in clinical nutrition and pharmaceutical sciences Jelena is a self-proclaimed foodie. She combines love and passion for cooking with unique skill of being able to create dishes that taste great and are of a high nutritional value, making sure you eat the best when you do.
Her kitchen is the food lab full of soul and passion where she happily spends hours experimenting. Her recipe collection is like a treasure chest that has something for each and every one.