Tofu Scramble Recipe from Vegan in 7 Cookbook
If you’re craving something hearty and savoury for breakfast, this tofu scramble recipe fits the bill perfectly and takes mere minutes to make.
I don’t usually use meat or dairy replacers, but once in a while organic non-GMO tofu can be a fun ingredient to play around with.
This recipe uses black salt or ‘kala namak’, a highly sulphuric salt that comes from India and gives this scramble a realistic eggy smell and taste.
– 250g block of firm tofu
– 1 small onion, finely chopped
– 100g watercress or other fresh greens (e.g. spinach or kale – if using kale, chop it into smaller pieces so it cooks evenly)
– Pinch of turmeric
– Pinch of chilli or freshly ground black pepper
– Pinch of black salt or kala namak
1. Rinse and drain the tofu, then wrap it in some kitchen paper to absorb excess water.
2. Place the onions in a non-stick ceramic pan with a splash of water and cook over a medium heat until soft and golden (about 3–4 minutes), then reduce the heat to low.
3. Add a splash more water if needed to prevent them sticking. Meanwhile, crumble the tofu in a bowl using a fork, or pulse in a food-processor until evenly chopped.
4. Add the tofu, greens, turmeric, chilli or black pepper and black salt to the onions. Add 3–4 tablespoons of water, increase the heat to medium and cook until the greens are wilted.
5. Taste and add some more black salt and pepper, if needed, then serve.
Serving suggestion: Serve with toast, leftover grains or potatoes and, if you want to give it a bit of a kick, a bit of chilli sauce.
Healthy vegan recipes with 7 ingredients or fewer; can it be true? Yes! Being a vegan can be easy, fun and totally delicious.
With more than 20 years’ experience in plant-based cooking, Rita Serano shows how cooking vegan doesn’t have to be complicated. She offers nourishing and delicious recipes with not a single fake overprocessed vegan burger in sight.
Vegan in 7 contains many delicious recipes that are vegan, refined sugar free and low fat.
Recipes taken from Vegan in 7 by Rita Serano. Published by Kyle Books. Photography by Laura Edwards.