Indulgent Valentine Truffles Recipe by My Nutrition Ireland
Making these Valentine Truffles Recipe by My Nutriton might sound daunting, but believe me it is much better than buying them as a gift, not only because you are giving your time and effort and your love for sure, but you are giving a gift with health benefits as well, loaded with nutrients, antioxidants and healthy fats. They feel and taste so naughty but are amazingly good for you.
What chocolate lover wouldn’t be thrilled with rich, decadent truffles for Valentine’s Day? Instead of heading to the nearest chocolate shop, pick up a few items from your favourite store and make these homemade chocolate truffles with your own two hands. There is something really special about being able to create a delicious and meaningful Valentine’s Day gift for someone.
Truffles may seem a little intimidating; after all they are sold in high end chocolate boutiques for an accurate price. However, making them yourself is simple and actually quite fun, unless of course you don’t like getting your hands dirty, and by “dirty” I mean full of chocolate. Share something really good this Valentine’s day, don’t hold back, life is too short not to spread the love around.
Smooth & Creamy Vegan Truffles
– 1 ripe avocado, peeled
– ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
– 20 pitted medjool dates
– 1 ½ tbsp vanilla extract
– 2-3 tbsp maple syrup
1. Put dates, maple syrup and vanilla in a food processor and blend until fully smooth and forms a paste.
2. Add the full avocado and blend until smooth.
3. Add cocoa powder and mix through with a spatula then blend, add one or two extra tablespoons of cocoa powder if the mix looks too wet.
4. Put them in the fridge for a few hours or overnight before shaping the truffles.
5. Use 2 teaspoons of the mixture and roll into truffles with your hands, (you could use a tiny amount of coconut oil on your hands to roll them easier) also you can use gloves if you don’t want to get your hands messy with chocolate.
6. Dip them or roll them in your favourite toppings: cocoa powder, hazelnuts, pistachios, coconut, etc.
My Nutrition Tips:
I used ‘Freeze Dried Berries’ blended into a powder in the food processor then roll them over it. You can find these berries in your favourite health stores or order it online. Keep the truffles cool and in an airtight container like a jar or a beautiful wrapped gift box.
Chocolate & Hazelnut Fudge Truffles
– 1 cup blanched hazelnuts, divided
– 4 large medjool dates
– 2-3 tbsp raw cacao powder
– 2 tsp vanilla extract
– pinch himalayan salt
– ¼ cup dark chocolate, chopped (optional)
– 2-3 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
1. Process the dates and ½ cup of hazelnuts in a food processor for about 2 minutes (reserve the remaining ½ cup).
2. Add the reserved hazelnuts, cacao powder, vanilla, salt and maple syrup to the food processor and process for 1-2 minute until well combined.
3. Line a large plate with greaseproof paper. Roll the mixture into small balls, using about 2 teaspoons of the mixture per truffle. Set each truffle on the parchment paper and refrigerate.
4. Melt the dark chocolate slowly. Cut a small hole in one end of a pipping or plastic bag and fill the bag with the melted chocolate. Drizzle melted chocolate over the truffles and serve. (optional step).
5. Store in an airtight container in the fridge or at room temperature.
My Nutrition’s Tips:
You can cover and roll the truffles with just cocoa powder, desiccated coconut or dip them in melted dark chocolate and sprinkle with your favourite toppings. For added flavour you could dry roast the hazelnuts in the oven for 10 minutes on a high temperature. Watch them carefully so they don’t burn and use them when completely cooled.
My Nutrition Ireland is a Nutritional & Health Consultancy, set up by Thomas Coleman and Jeeny Maltese in 2013. Understanding the importance of Health, how it impacts on people’s well-being & performance. Jeeny Maltese is a chef, passionate about Food & Health. A talented chef described as a “Latin Nigella Lawson”. Tom Coleman, a Nutritionist with a background in Science & Health Promotion, with a life time passion in Health, Sports & Science.