Watch: Baked Eggs Recipe with Tomato and Red Peppers from Bord Bia
This baked eggs recipe from Bord Bia is the perfect healthy, filling breakfast or brunch. Packed with protein and healthy fats and full of flavour, this quick and easy dish is good for any time of the day and allows eggs to be the star of the show.
– 4 large eggs
– 2 tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
– 1 large onion, peeled and thinly sliced
– 2 large red peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
– 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
– 1 tsp ground cumin
– 1 tsp smoked paprika
– 400g tin chopped tomatoes
– A pinch of sugar
– salt and freshly ground black pepper
– 120g goats’ cheese
– 1 handful of chopped coriander
– Crusty bread
– Green salad
1. Heat oven to Gas Mark 4, 180°C (350°F).
2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and red peppers and cook gently until very soft. This will take about 20 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin and smoked paprika and cook for another minute or two.
3. Stir in the tomatoes and a pinch of sugar. Season with salt and black pepper and simmer until the sauce has thickened, about 10 minutes.
4. Transfer to an ovenproof dish. Make four wells with the back of a spoon, large enough to hold an egg. Break the eggs into the wells and crumble over the goats’ cheese.
5. Place the dish in the oven and bake until the eggs are just set, 10 to 15 minutes.
6. Sprinkle with coriander and serve with crusty bread and a green salad.
As part of this ‘Eggcellent’ campaign, Bord Bia have produced a suite of new recipes that are really versatile, simple and packed with protein – perfect for your standard cook or fitness fanatic who needs protein rich food, and fast!
In order to ‘Get yourself a 6-pack’ with Bord Bia Quality Assured eggs check out some of the new egg recipes for inspiration on www.bordbia.ie/eggs.