Za’atar Salmon Skewers Recipe by M&S
With its exquisite balance of herby, tangy and nutty favours, za’atar is a fantastically versatile spice blend. Its aromatic mix of thyme, sesame seeds and sumac make a magical marinade that’s perfect for giving fish or chicken an exotic Middle Eastern twist – as in our chef Jon Jones’s recipe, below.
We also love it combined with oil, lemon juice and fresh parsley, stirred through a chickpea or grain salad. Or just mix it with olive oil and serve with bread for a simple appetiser to share with friends.
Za’atar Salmon and Courgette Skewers with Harissa Yogurt
Ready in 15 minutes, plus marinating
– 1 tbsp za’atar
– 1 garlic clove, grated
– Zest of 1 lemon, plus 1 lemon cut into 4 wedges, to serve
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– 260g salmon fllet, cut into 16 chunks
– 1 courgette, cut into 16 slices
– 100g full-fat yogurt
– 25g harissa paste
1. In a bowl mix together the za’atar, garlic, half the lemon zest, the olive oil and a pinch of salt. Add the salmon and courgette, and leave to marinate for at least an hour.
2. Mix together the yogurt, the remaining lemon zest and a pinch of salt. Swirl through the harissa paste, then set aside.
3. Thread the salmon and courgette on to 4 skewers.
4. Place a griddle pan on a high heat. When hot, cook the salmon skewers for 2 minutes, then turn and cook for a further 2 minutes.
5. Serve with the harissa yogurt and lemon wedges on the side.
All ingredients are available from Marks & Spencer
Marks & Spencer offers an extensive range of food and wine. There are 17 stores in the Republic of Ireland. To find your nearest store visit www.marksandspencer.ie